Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have already seen this on Yahoo today:

"Chevy's top 10 trucks of all time"

I must admit I have never seen the Suburban depicted as in the 1973, at least not one with that front end.

Also interesting to see the El Camino as included in this list. I imagine today is would be classified as a CUV.

·
Banned
216 Posts
I'm not going to go look at that, because there are only 2 possibilities, unless we include GMC.
1) Syclone
2) 454SS
3) Street Coupe ( 12-year-older-454SS )

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course, none of those models made it. Shoot, not even the S10 was included, which I still think was a great truck.

Sometimes I wonder why such lists are made and posted online. Marketing strategy? Considering the fact that the author put the yet-to-be-sold-in-the-US Colorado at the very end of the list, I'd say yes. The other vehicles seem to be there only to build up nostalgia.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,657 Posts
lt1silverhawk said:
I must admit I have never seen the Suburban depicted as in the 1973, at least not one with that front end.

Hey Hawk.

That body style actually went from 73-91.
Pretty long run.
Of coarse the front fenders,hoods, lights and grills were changed over the years.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Actually, the new-for-'81 nose was more than just re-styling the front end, it also reduced the weight by more than 100 pounds. I can't see it, but that was GM's official claim.

·
& matts38chev
2,669 Posts
that was just a model milestone list

one of my favs is a 72 (we had 60 and 70 growing up) :thumbup:
of course I think it would be cool to have a 37, to match my coupe

·
"But how do it know?"
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@ whyholdback: Lol! The trcusk weren't that bad! :)

@ Pugsy: Hey! You're right, that body style was around for a long time. For some reason, the front end depicted in the picture looked very odd. After doing some Google searching, it turned out it was just me.

@Matt: If that's the case, then I say two things: a) this list is indeed amrketing strategy through a third-party; b) this Colorado better prove to be one heck of a milestone. I'm sure it'll perform well, but man I cannot get over how it looks. And I have the same problem with the "Global Market" Ranger being sold everywhere but the U.S. ... Going strictly by the list, if I ever have the money and the space, I'd love to own anything from a '37 up to '59 as a daily driver.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,657 Posts
I like the 55-57's.

Sweet trucks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
chevy top ten trucks

2003 SS Silverado with 6.0 lq9 engine, z60 suspension, awd with traction control and posi traction. Came in red, blue and black, but the black ones are faster.

1955 thru 1957 chevy trucks with built engines and updated front suspension

Big block, SS, El Caminos

Garrell

Honorable mention: 1939 chevy channeled down over a 37 frame, built 350 with 350, chrome down and back wide open headers, no hood or side panels, front disc breaks, red steel wheels with stainless baby moon caps, polished hi-rise aluminum intake with big carter afb competition plus carb topped with a hilburn type scoop air cleaner, with lots of flames. :evil:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Everyone would probably do that list different. All interesting marks for sure but that last one, the 2012 is one hideous fugly truck.

·
Banned
216 Posts
garrell.770 said:
2003 SS Silverado with 6.0 lq9 engine, z60 suspension, awd with traction control and posi traction. Came in red, blue and black, but the black ones are faster.
Big block, SS, El Caminos
Garrell
'03 SS was heavy, costly and extended cab, and sinfully offered AWD. No special power, like swapping to the LS2. It fails to be worthy.
El Caminos aren't pickups, they're butchered station wagons. Came off a car assembly line, mixed in with Chevelles then Malibus.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,429 Posts
lt1silverhawk said:
Some of you may have already seen this on Yahoo today:

"Chevy's top 10 trucks of all time"

Also interesting to see the El Camino as included in this list. I imagine today is would be classified as a CUV.
As soon as I saw the 2012 at the end I lost all interest in the whole thing as it is obviously simple marketing and a friggin joke.

Brian

·
Registered
53 Posts
chevy's top ten trucks

I was waiting for someone to jump on the weight of my 03 SS truck, granted it is heavy at 5300 lbs. but you can drive it for five hours on an interstate and never get tired or develope a backache. It handles like my Corvette and even though there are faster trucks it is no slouch. I set a landspeed record in Oct. on the Maxton Mile with a ten mph headwind at 127.999 mph. I have dyno time scheduled for March 6 and at that time additional performance work will be done that should produce 40 + rear wheel horsepower, putting it around 425 hp. I have already preregistered to run the Ohio Mile in April which is ten times smoother than Maxton air field runway was, with intent of running 130 to 135 mph. I have faster vehicles but just like the challenge of making the SS faster and it a pretty good looking truck.

Garrell

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,520 Posts
MARTINSR said:
As soon as I saw the 2012 at the end I lost all interest in the whole thing as it is obviously simple marketing and a friggin joke.

Brian
they had a task force cameo and 59 el camino, that is good.
but anything after 72???

sorry garrell, boring. you sound like the new mustang guys at the shop.
my salt truck is an 09 sierra, ugliest truck i have ever owned.
that 2012 looks even uglier.

·
Registered
53 Posts
chevy top ten trucks

I assure you I am not one of the Mustang guys, I have owned chevys since 16 yrs. old and have always kept a chevy truck as a company car. The reason I landspeed race the 03 SS is that it responds well to minor performance inhancements and since I am handicapped now I can't work on breakdowns like once there is very little chance of breakage. It breezes through the standing mile at 127 mph without working hard at all, after four passes the temp gage is at 190. There could be 25 top chevy trucks of all time and still miss some good ones'

Garrell

I have owned over thirty very rare and fast pre 1970 Chevys and drag raced many of them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.