Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1949 Ford Coupe RESURRECTION
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had always heard that Optima Red Top batteries for one of the best. the first one I bought died a little over a year after I bought it and Summit was kind enough to send me another one. I had always heard that Optima red top batteries were one of the best. Now it has been a little over three years since the original purchase. And the second one died again. I have a Walmart battery in my truck that is over 6 years old and going strong. Question is are Optima Batteries overhyped?

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,977 Posts
Optima were good. They sold out many years ago and have been not so good to junk. We used to use them in our race cars but one too many failures and we switched brands.

·
True Hotrodder
1,543 Posts
I agree. The first battery I put in my dragster was an Optima Red - darned thing was impossible to kill but finally last year it got to where it didn't have the same amperage to spin the engine. That one had - probably 9 years or more on it. So I bought another one last year - this one I have had to recharge it multiple times already - it's not looking good.

There used to be only 4 manufacturers of batteries in the US - I don't know what that number is today but I think we all know that most of the batteries are made by a few, might have a different color case but it's usually just a label change. I would like to find out how to read the code so that you could figure out which outfit made it.

Reactions: '49 Ford Coupe

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the same lesser opinion of Optima as of late not as good as they once were.

I seeked out an American Made battery, Deca made in Pa and so far a good battery. Price was within other’s of the same cranking amps.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I found out if you buy locally and get a warranty then the brand does not matter.
1000cca from napa or walmart and I never had one last less then 5 years.

I do always let my gauges sweep or wait 5 seconds for relays or such to check before cranking and also wait a second before shutting down. I never warm up engines just drive. But letting your gauges sweep is going to extend the life of all your electronics.

I have not cared where things are made for years. If someone makes a better product I am going to buy that product.
The amount of drop ship and resellers out now is staggering to where very few things are made in the USA.
You may buy a battery "made" in the usa but the cells might be from china and case made in mexico etc.
You cant blame the company they need to complete for your business.

So buy locally so you have a store to go back to with a warranty if things do go bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
A farmer friend (large farmer) was given several Optima batteries to try in his combines and tractors several years ago. They were not good in his equipment and were never used again. Anyway after that I never bothered to invest in one. I have a 10 yr. old Walmart in one of my tractors and have had several over 6 yrs.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My buddy sells Exide batteries at his shop and I get it for his cost, around $75 with a 5-year warranty. I like to stick with local sources like parts stores that run sales and cover what they sell you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts