Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,613 Posts
Have no problem buying Japanese stuff if American made is not available. Chinese stuff is a different story, but give 'em time and they'll also be world class. Japanese stuff was junk when they began rebuilding after WWII, but they got their act together. China will also.

The Japanese have refined their manufacturing to the point where their stuff is pretty much state of the art. I'll even go so far as to say I would rather have Japanese stuff over American stuff.

I sold Toyotas for a while and was able to drive all the different models for over 4 years. Some models in the same product are built in Japan and in America. The Corolla, for instance, is built in both countries. I can guarantee you that the Japanese-built Corolla drives better, has better quality control and is quieter than the California-built Corolla. Anyone looking to buy a Toyota Corolla should look for a "J" serial number car (the VIN starts with J). That goes for any Toyota model. If the car/truck is built in two different countries, one of them being Japan, always insist on the "J" car. You won't be sorry.

I'm unsure if this goes for other manufacturers, but it sure does apply to Toyotas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,259 Posts
Jap stuff is high quality but not much made for American cars anymore. The junk coming from China is and always will be crap. Mostly knockoffs of US designs. Those PowerPlus polished intake manifolds are direct copies of Edelbrock designs but they're made of substandard aluminum using poor casting techniques. Thats what happens when a country has no plagiarism laws.

Japan improved their quality over the years because they are a capitalist society and had incentive to do so. China on the other hand is a communist society and by definition has no incentive to improve anything, just produce as much as possible as cheaply as possible to undercut everyone else.

By the way, check your new tires very closely for a made in China mark. Goodyear, Firestone and other major US manufacturers have moved a lot of their production over there and just like everything else the quality of the tires made in China is crap.
 

·
http://www.warsprints.com
Joined
·
2,024 Posts
Ford Going To China

Now get this. The Michigan Ford plant is requiring that a Chinese company build "carriers" for their plant and it's up to the company that I work for here in the US to make sure they are successful at doing so. We built a proto-type in our shop, the Chinese came over and took ton's of pictures, my company has several Project managers and Engineers in China right now to ensure they build them to our quality standards and to make sure they use the right materials. Now, the company I work for would not normally do this (i don't think) in a good economy but with the way things are right now, it's a matter of survival and keeping the doors open. It amazes me how the US companies are stooping to these levels to put Americans out of work. I don't disagree with importing goods but I do believe that it should be a 50/50 dealing. We should allow 50% importation in return for 50% exportation.
 

·
Will I ever get it done?
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
S10 Racer said:
We should allow 50% importation in return for 50% exportation.
Read either of the FairTax books. The FairTax would make American exports more attractive and imports less attractive. No fancy calculations of percentages or "stop sending us tires or we'll stop sending you chicken feet."

The real problem is that it may be too late. China already has the production side of things. They are on the verge of becoming a leading consumer nation. Same deal with India. Once the 2 + billion people in these two countries are producers AND consumers, then America becomes irrelevant. I have been to China and saw what is going on.
 

·
Troll Hunter
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
Just a little comment on the original post...I can't speak for China, but Japan has had drag strips as early as the late 60s. Their events used to be reported on regularly in Hot Rod when they covered international motorsports events. Once again, can't speak for China, but you would likely be surprised at how much the Japanese mimic our behaviour and styles. Elvis is still alive in Japan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
BUY AMERICAN and KEEP AMERICANS WORKING.
There is a huge trade deficit in this country because we all bought foriegn. Now we have become basiccally a service run economy.And the tree huggers helpef that along too, .Too much pollution for them etc, :welcome:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I personally hate how some of these people act like because they drive a Chevy built in Mexico they are somehow helping the US Economy over someone driving a Honda made in the U.S.. And then they go home and watch the news on their Chinese made televisions and ***** about it all online on their Chinese made computers while sitting on their Korean made furniture while wearing their Taiwan made clothing. It just baffles me that for some reason people feel they should only support American made vehicles and nothing else.

Then you got the guys they say "The profits go to Japan!" That's dumb. I look at it this way.

Let's say you buy a Honda built in Liberty Ohio or a Toyota or Subaru built in Kentucky. You have US workers on the line building these cars making US money and spending their money in the US. Then you have US transporters, who also get paid in US and spend their money here, that transport these vehicles to US dealers, who once again get paid in US currency and spend their money here. Or you can buy a Chevy made in Mexico where the line workers got paid in pesos and spend their money in Mexico and Mexican transporters got paid in pesos to ship the cars to the US. But the profits of those "foreign" cars go back to Japan! I can deal with what little profit goes back to some CEO if a bunch of US workers where involved and get jobs because of it. I'd rather see that than no Us workers being involved and the profits going to a bunch of stock holders.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
danase said:
I personally hate how some of these people act like because they drive a Chevy built in Mexico they are somehow helping the US Economy over someone driving a Honda made in the U.S.. And then they go home and watch the news on their Chinese made televisions and ***** about it all online on their Chinese made computers while sitting on their Korean made furniture while wearing their Taiwan made clothing. It just baffles me that for some reason people feel they should only support American made vehicles and nothing else.

Then you got the guys they say "The profits go to Japan!" That's dumb. I look at it this way.

Let's say you buy a Honda built in Liberty Ohio or a Toyota or Subaru built in Kentucky. You have US workers on the line building these cars making US money and spending their money in the US. Then you have US transporters, who also get paid in US and spend their money here, that transport these vehicles to US dealers, who once again get paid in US currency and spend their money here. Or you can buy a Chevy made in Mexico where the line workers got paid in pesos and spend their money in Mexico and Mexican transporters got paid in pesos to ship the cars to the US. But the profits of those "foreign" cars go back to Japan! I can deal with what little profit goes back to some CEO if a bunch of US workers where involved and get jobs because of it. I'd rather see that than no Us workers being involved and the profits going to a bunch of stock holders.

I'm thinking then that no money at all goes back to the foriegn companies? Then ,if that is so , why do they even make products for sale in this country ? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
wretched ratchet said:
When I make a purchase, there are only two things that matter to me - - - - the quality and the price - - - I could care less who built it or where it was built.
So, if a good product was made available to you say, made by Al-Quida, you would have no problem buying it and supporting a people dedicated to killing Americans ?


We even have to be aware that poor quality products are being made in China and other foriegn countries that have name brands stamped on them. Black market stuff if you will.
This has been going on for years also.

We must be very aware of what we buy.
I don't think there is any question that there are a lot of good quality foriegn products out there. After all , they copied everything from the US.
I just happen to believe that we should spend local.
 

·
one full turn after it squeeks
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
Cape Cod Bob said:
So, if a good product was made available to you say, made by Al-Quida, you would have no problem buying it and supporting a people dedicated to killing Americans ?
even tho that is a ridiculous analogy and you know what I meant - - - my answer would be NO I WOULD NOT BUY ANYTHING MADE BY AL-QUIDA - - - don't even try to tell me that you know where EVERYTHING you buy is made because that's impossible to do in today's world.

I respect your patriotism and love for our Country and I am just as Patriotic as you are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
Latly I have become more aware of the crisis this country is in and have made an effoert to look for Made in USA labels. I googled made in USA and found a lot of inter esting site, to many to list all, but here is one.
There is a guy(forget his name) nthat visits stores and makes notes on stuff still made here that we wouldn't think about looking for a made in us lable. Like light bulbs. Found less expensive bulbs made in Penn. on the shelf next to GE bulbs from china.
http://www.madeinusaforever.com/ :welcome:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Cape Cod Bob said:
I'm thinking then that no money at all goes back to the foriegn companies? Then ,if that is so , why do they even make products for sale in this country ? :confused:
You have a mullet don't you? :spank:

I never said NO money goes back. But I'll guarantee you that MORE money goes back into the US economy than the Japanese economy. So what if the CEO of Honda gets a fat paycheck? How many US workers got paid? How many US workers get paid when your Chevy is assembled in Mexico using Chinese parts?

Go pull a few parts on your car and tell me where they are made. My old Honda was the ONLY car I've ever owned where the radio even said "Made in US".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
danase said:
You have a mullet don't you? :spank:

I never said NO money goes back. But I'll guarantee you that MORE money goes back into the US economy than the Japanese economy. So what if the CEO of Honda gets a fat paycheck? How many US workers got paid? How many US workers get paid when your Chevy is assembled in Mexico using Chinese parts?

Go pull a few parts on your car and tell me where they are made. My old Honda was the ONLY car I've ever owned where the radio even said "Made in US".
Not yet :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
It's sad, but I think this battle of "made in the US" is already over... we just dont know it yet.

Even if a product is made in the US, the IT support, the development, etc...is probably handled offshore in China or South America or India. Unfortunately because their competition is doing it, all companies will have to eventually follow suit or risk being uncompetitive. Even if those of us in the USA only buy "made in usa" products, the rest of the world isn't. ;)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top