Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on doing a carb swap on my 306 Ford and would like to hear your experiences using a carb with no choke on a daily driver. I'm trying to decide what carb would be best suited for this swap and I'd like to know if I absolutely need to have a choke on the colder mornings. I live in Toronto, Canada and the car is driven daily in the spring, summer, and fall.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Even on warmer summer mornings, you will have to wait for the engine to warm before you drive anywhere otherwise you will keep stalling.

·
Registered
128 Posts
choke required on Carbed Daily Driver?

Yeah I really Reccomend a choke . Even if it's a, manual Pull Choke . If it's Not a trailerd Race Car . Choke is almost essential . Especially in severe Climates . On Ford's you have the Heat Riser Tube that activates Chokes From manifold heat . Help's on Carb Freezeing . But Napa also sell's a Electronic replacement choke . But even the manual Choke . I runn only 1 Car with out a Choke it's Type -1 Bugg Dual webber carb's . On Bugg not quite so critical , if your carefull . But with out a choke you continually runn the Risk of Flooded condition . Washing ring's down with gas, every other time it's started . In my opinion choke is good for at least 25k, miles on a motor . Thats probably a conservative estimate . For example . My Buggy I tapp the gas 1/4 way down, lett up! Foot off the gas , I hit the starter . Ner >>> Vroooooommmhhhhhpm ! It dies . I Press Gas down 1/4 way hold it and hit starter again Ner Vroom Vroom Vroom << Usually Lil higher RPM than what you would want a Cold motor Too be Gase'd too But Have too too keep it runnin ? Any deviation from this , Result's in a Starter Nerr Nerr Ner and Gas Pumping too start it Then You gett the, almost Flooded Condition . The High Rpm VROOOOOMMMMM Blaaaapppp Blaaaapppp Blaapppp Guhhhhnk Vroom , Vroom Syndrome when it fire's off . These High RPM cold start's Pumpin of Gas , Lil Puff's of Black smoke out the Exhaust ? Just cant be Good for a cold motor . Think I heard some where 50 % of engine wear Occur's on start Up ? Not too mention the Wife ! <<, Now she know's how too get a Vehicle Mall Bound , In shortest amount of Time Possible ! First you gett in Buckle Up , Pummp Gas pedal 10-15 time's, Fire it off ! VROOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM , Gasin it, whole time, too keep highest RPM goin Possible , While yellin at the Kidd's in Back seat, And Finding Reverse Too back out . No bother commin too a complete stop, we merely find 1st gear, and Pop the Clutch again, Chirpin the tire's, In a Mall bound direction . I love that Women ! She is the Queen of Multi tasking ! No doubt ! Yeah I prefer a Choke ! Just my opinion ! Sean

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.