Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in chopping the entire roof off a car and leaving it an open top or building a Carson style top. However once the original roof is taken completely off, wouldn't the body and frame lose substantial structural rigidity? I was reading about convertibles, and I was surprised to know how much strength a roof provides, which must be compensated for with additional strength from X-members, etc.. As many of you know whenever cars are being chopped, a temporary internal frame is constructed to keep the body from distorting. When a Carson top is created, wouldn't some sort of additional framing be neccessary to maintain strength so that the body or frame wouldn't flex?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Extra framing

Yup..gotta put some extra framing in the body as well as in the chassis to get some of the strength of the roof back in the car when you cut the roof off..

you may be surprised to find that convertibles weigh more than the comparable hardtop or coupe because of this....not to mention the rattles and body twisting that one can find for example when crossing a railroad track..

That being said a chopped removable Carson style top would be cool on the right car..just expect to spend some serious time working through the structure of the car so it will hold together..

OMT

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.