Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few 50's mercurys and such with a canvas type of materail for a roof. I don't think they are convertables.

Does anyone have any good pictures of these things?

I would like to do something like this to a s10 pickup sometime. I don't really know where to start, would I just build a wire frame and stretch canvas over it? Has anyone ever done this before.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
tops

I think what you are referring to is what was once called a Carson Top, which is nothing more than a vinyl covered top, with foam padding under it.

This would be a relatively straight up job on your S-10. You might want to get ahold of a local car shop that specializes in convertable and Carson or Landau tops. Most also do custom auto upholstery as well.

Installing a padded vinyl top is not a difficult job, but its not a job that can be done easily in an hour or two, and it may well require some sewing, to get the right curvatures etc. This isnt the kind of sewing you want to do on your home machine thats designed for doing dresses and curtains.

Having been doing upholstery off and on for the past 21 yrs, take my word for it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what do you think the best thing is to do. Build a wire frame and take it to an upolstry shop and get it covered? What should I use to make the frame? Some steel rod?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
covering the roof

The foam and vinyl are put down directly on your steel roof.
Notice any vehicles running around with Vinyl tops on them? Thats how its done.

I dont know what other mods you have in mind for the roof. Do you plan to have it chopped? If you are going to have other roof mods done, have them done first. Then take your truck to the upholstery or top shop and have them install the covering.

There are a lot of auto body shops that will intall vinyl tops as well.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
That is a modern form of the old "Carson" top. I have a 40 Studebaker that I am doing in the same fashion. The frame of the top is made from 1" square tube and EMT tubing. The front "Header" is made from a couple pieces of red oak. I used wide belting, similar to lawn chair stuff, but heavier. from front to rear for support and padded with a gauze type of material (looks like fibreglass cloth) I will be using a material like "Hartz Cloth" for the final covering. The project is on hold at the moment. Due to life problems. BUT, when I get back to it. The top will be removable. One piece. Dzus fasteners on the rear inner structure and Lunch box style fasteners at the front header.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts