Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Aspiring eccentric
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the risk of sounding like a greenhorn, are there any good books out there that cover chopping tops on cars like a 34 Ford? While I like to think I know quite a bit about bodywork, I'll happily admit I've never done this and want to do it to mine. I will pay someone else to if I have to, but would really rather do it myself so I can say I did it, you all know how good that feels. Please help if you can.

Thanks,
Lee

·
Registered
699 Posts
I haven't done this myself but I have seen several people at the car shows that were sorry they did it. If you are a tall person check your head room to determine how much you can take off and still drive the car safely. I have seen plenty of cars with a 6 inch high windshield that you had to lean forward and peak out the windshield barely seeing what is around you. This sounds obvious but I have seen a lot of good cars ruined.

To find information on this go to google.com. This is a search engine. In the search heading type in "chopping tops street rods" and you will get a load of information to look at.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A book by Tex Smith called How to Chop Tops has what you seek. It's available from Speedway Motors and other sources like Amazon.com

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The Tex Smith book is very good. Rod and Custom magazine in the late 60's-early 70s did a series by Jim Jacobs on chopping 34 3W coupes. They covered the leanback traditional chops and the stretch the roof/keep the windshield angle stock style. Good photos and text. These articles were spread out over several issues and are well worth the cost to find them.
A word of advice if you don't mind. Don't chop the car more than 2 to 3 inches. Take some pics with the inch marks drawn on the car with grease pencil or 1/8 inch masking tape. Blow them up at Kinko's and then cut them down and tape them back together in several increments. Use your sense of proportion. Then Mask off the windshield, door glass, and back glass to reflect such a chop and sit in the car. Can you handle the day to day view out those windows???? Can you back and handle the seating position necessary for survival on today's streets????
OK, chop it and have fun!!
I love technology.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Tex Smith, How to chop tops is your book.

Don't listen to people who say the top is too low! If you have to cut a hole in the floor and let your *** hang out it is worth it. Traditional rods are chopped.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well I guess I'm one who doesn't mind a little inconveince to be cool. I just took 5" out of my 31 coupe. Drove a 31 sedan for 3 years with a 4" chop. You have to adjust your driving habits for sure. I agree with pasadena on this one, a 34 5w looks good with 2" or 3". I use tape to make my line ( width varies I used 2 2" strips on the sedan had to add a 1" strip to that for the coupe) cut on top & bottom edges of tape.it gives you an even spacing.

Later, Mark

·
Aspiring eccentric
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only plan on dropping 2-3 inches. I also am a hardcore Corel user, (this is a sweet little graphics software package for those not in the know). I have 'chopped' my car several times at several degrees of kool and decided on a 2-3 inch is all I want. I'm looking for a classic, yet practical chop. My bro has the Tex Smith book and I've already conviced him to travel 500+ miles to help when it comes time to do so. I also plan on posting pix here when the blessed event happens. Thanks for all who responded, it is GREATLY appreciated.

Lee

Besides, anyone can build a hot rod, it takes a real man to cut one up!

[ January 10, 2003: Message edited by: Lee Hulick ]</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts