Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planing to chop a 54 chevy 4 inches. The only problem is the back glass.I like the look of a chopped rap-around glass, but am coming up empty on finding a windshield to cut to fit. Any suggestons would be helpfull. I Aready found a roof off a 50 ford just in case.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm going to venture a guess that your '54 isn't a wrap around glass, some '54's (bel-airs I think instead of 210's, not sure) have wrap around rear glass. To acheive this you will need to reconstruct a new roof structure. or find a donor '54 and use its components.

HK

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The usual procedure when chopping a top is to use the original windshield cut the amount you do the chop! The backglass is often replaced by a section of roof from another car similar in configuration but with a smaller back glass laid down or chopped as well. Be prepared to buy several windshields before your glass guy gets one cut to fit. (the price of top modification)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your info, but I need more.My car has the wrap around glass. I already chopped one of my parts cars to figure out my cuts and got a great profile. The stock back glass will notlay down. I sectioned the glass frame ,looks good but I cant find a windshield with the correct curve to cut to fit. I seen cars at shows with a chopped rear glass but no one knows what the glass is out of.
thanks for the help

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are a series of books put out by James Flammang which show multiple pictures of every American car produced. The books are broken down into decades. One book for each era; '50s, '60s, and '70s. You can use the Fabulous Fifties book to easil look at every '50s car to find a curve you think is a close match. And then locate that model at a junkyard, car show, or car club in your area.

I like to use the book at swap meets or ebay when someone has a piece of trim for sale. I can open the book to that page and see what that piece looked like originally. It also helps alot when searching for custom taillights or a custom grille.

Phillip

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
A lot of cars when they chop the top lay the windshield back and use the original glass but have to modify the post. The rear glass can be cut down but finding someone to do it might prove a little futile. There was a discussion on this about a month ago. Do a search for chopped tops and you will probably find it.

Kevin

·
Returning American Maddman
444 Posts
My first chop was a 53 Chev.(In Photo album) I went with a 48 Ford rear window. I hear what you are saying. I do not have an exact car, but if you want that wrap around look, you'll have to just keep looking at every car you see and imagine the glass(even upsidedown) I ended up using the stock size rear window, but it would be a breeze to make a mailslot window out of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Before you chop your top, take your existing rear glass to a place that makes airplne replacement windshields and have them use your window as the mold and make an acrylic window of the same shape. Use this when you chop the top to determine the opening parameters. This window can be trimmed for any variations in opening shape. Use great care to not scratch it. I did this on a 51 Chevy BelAir Hardtop. The window can be washed without scratching. This is the same material used in small airplanes and helicopters. It is better looking than Lexan. An airport maintenance dept. can direct you to a company in your area who can do this. The cost isn't to much for such a good solution. Good Luck, Keith

·
Registered
1 Posts
about the 54 chevy truck chop top. I have a 54 that I chopped 6 inchs with a custom cab (corer windows) I made them go up & down and didn,t cut the class because its tempered it can,t be cut only sanded Big Al :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
You can NOT cut the back glass.You have to build a "pocket" for the glass to lay in.You have to cut part of the package tray and drop and lean the glass in.If you have anymore questions,let me know,I have done this more than a few times.You also have to be careful not to have a dip in the transition between the glass and sheet metal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts