Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Im trying to have an idea!
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thread one

ive done a search on this and got the above.

can anyone else recommend a good method/product that will give this chrome illusion. I would also like to know if anyone has ever dealt with this stuff and how well it holds up to the elements.

here are some links that i found pretty good.

example one
example two
some product producers
link 1
link 2

·
Registered
717 Posts
i have some of the alsa stuff here in the shop and have used it. its definately cool stuff. you have to paint your part black first then wetsand and buff the surface. then spray very light dry coats on till you get a mirror finish, wait 24 hours then clearcoat. the finish is very nice. its not exactly like chrome but its close, its more like a high polished aluminum. it is the closest thing i've ever seen to a chrome paint. i'm not sure about the other manufacurer. it says you need special spray equiptment where alsa can just be sprayed with your regular sprayguns. another place you can buy it is www.innate.com. its the same stuff but less than half the cost.

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how much of that stuff is needed to do a large car

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Chrome Paint

Restore60s said:
Powder Coat the parts or what ever you are doing in Reflective Chrome.
I plan on painting my 71 cutlass with this stuff-so i dont think the powder coat will work.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: Chrome Paint

Restore60s said:
Powder Coat the parts or what ever you are doing in Reflective Chrome.
Good advice. At "Powder Coating 2004" last month in Charlotte, NC Dupont had some amazing wheels powder coated to look like chrome. While chrome will be first and foremost in a true hot rodders heart, I am predicting this technology will become first in his wallet in the near future. :)

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
My brother bought variety of plating solutions from Caswell Inc. Included in the package was there product called Copy Chrome. This is suppose to be the high quality shine using electroplating method. I'll have him do all the different types and then post the pictures for every one to see. May take awhile since he just got it.

here is a sample picture from the site.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My wife has a set of powder coated wheels on her PT and they are some of the best looking chrome around. I'm impressed but I am worried about durability. They had to warantee one wheel because a bunch of the stuff pealed off.
I just followed that link and they have bunch of cool stuff. I'll have to go back and look around some more.

·
Registered
717 Posts
didn't see the whole car powdercoated in chrome however alsa did do a whole jeep in thier stuff. it looks pretty cool. the stuff that all the custom paint places across the country are using is the stuff from alsa. i'm not sure if its any better or worse than the powdercoat, its probably so popular because it can be painted on which makes it easy to do graphics with such as chrome flames and you can put a candy over to give the chrome a color etc.

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
has anyone powder coated a whole car before? does it do any damage to the metal, like warpage and such?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hundereds of thousands of car body components and a few entire cars have been powder coated. All of the automakers powder coat some body components and have been for quite some time. If you have the equipment an entire body can be powder coated.

·
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think your thinking of that electro coating stuff. Right?

·
Registered
173 Posts
MRGM said:
i think your thinking of that electro coating stuff. Right?
No! Powder Coating. I've been in the automotive/industrial paint finishing buisness for 25 years and I'm telling you there are lots of "body parts" being powder coated right now on cars.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.