Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone here ever tryed the chrome, gold plating kits on ebay. go there and check them out.look up (chrome plating kit) i was wondering how it would work. its a lil expensive 400. bucks but if u bought the machince and solutions u can do bike parts and make the money back in no time i would think. i was thinking of chrome plating my blower , and parts

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Nowhere do they tell you the size of the parts you can plate, but take a look at the cost of the 4 oz bottles of solution. You could do a coin or a small piece of jewelry in 4 oz, but it would take a lot more ($$$$$$) to do a larger piece.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have a friend who owns a custom paint shop. I was going to have him shoot my entire T in chrome and then Candy over it. He's tried the chrome paints on some bikes. None have turned out like chrome. He said most people on the paint forums haven't had much success. Alsa does offer paint services though.

Another expense to chroming is disposal. Even after you nuetralize it you have a solution of heavy metals. You can use carbon and clay filters to separate it from the water, but then you have them to dispose of.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
KA67_72 said:
Another expense to chroming is disposal. Even after you nuetralize it you have a solution of heavy metals. You can use carbon and clay filters to separate it from the water, but then you have them to dispose of.
A little side note regarding disposal, if you go to the ebay site suggested by smrat and then find the video where the guy is gold plating a bathroom faucet, you will see him flushing all the excess chemicals right down the drain. Assuming he is on a municipal sewer system, that water does, in fact, become someone's drinking water.

[edit: I think this link will put you through to the faucet plating video.]

I'm no chemist so I have no idea what's in the three little bottles that come with the kit. Others on here may know if it is perfectly safe, but without a lot of good documentation, I don't think I want to be drinking shots of that stuff down at the local pub.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.