Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is that I've been doing a ton of metal, body work on a project car for 3 years that has seen alot of the time with the garage closed and a cigarette in my mouth, "or even friends over filling the garage with smoke" I,ve been very cautiouse of oil, arisole spray and petrolium contaminants and it never dawned on me that the smoke could screw up the finish! I'm at the first blocking stage now and have $2,000 in color waiting to spray.
Is this thing going to fish eye all over the place?
Is there another prep I should do?
Or will the block sanding take it up or rub it in.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Never have heard of cigarette smoke messing up a finish but why take the chance? When I was painting my 34 there was modified school bus being painted by a guy with no respirator and smoking at the same time. He was actually inside the bus with a clear coat fog spraying with no respirator and smoking. He is dead now by the way.:pain:

Vince

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
house paintinig smoke.

One of my kids does house painting and says that on a house where occupants smoke there is a lot more oils. smoke stain on the walls. they need more cleaning with TSP to not get color stains bleeding thru light colored paint.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
I think now would be a good time to quit....for your car. :rolleyes:

Brian

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don’t know about cigarette smoke but back in the day all by bondo work had cigar ashes in it. My Dad was a heavy smoker when I was young. I can remember cleaning his truck, when you squirted Windex on the inside of the cab brown goop would run down the windows…he finally quit. Don’t forget the wax and grease remover, it should wash everything off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No doubt about quitting! It's priority.
Was down at the paint supply and the fella said it should be alright after blocking a couple times and taking the regular steps of wax and grease remover.
Nobodies heard of it causing a problem before so that's a good thing.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.