Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Army Strong
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a thread called Can Volkswagens Be Hottrodded...

and we got off topic

so i started a new one

and heres my plan.. i think i have pics of all three bugs in my photogallery

sorry if its kind leaving you hanging.. read my other thread

the white/formally yellow one was the car that has good tranny and pretty good body...but no engine
red one.. half floor missing and bad tranny no engine
beige one.. good engine good tranny (autostick one )
in the barn are 2 sets of good heads, one good engine.. and one locked up engine
i wanted to lower this one 3 inches.. suicide doors...and tinted windows on this one.. and take the auto stick out.. and put the tranny out the yellow/white one..
then take the good engine from the barn and get it rebuilt with more HP and put it in this one ... and then when i finish this one .. i'll take the auto stick put it in the white/yellow one.. and then this engine thats currently in the car i'll have it rebuilt and put in the white/yellow one.. and it will be stock..
because.. now i have a job at the car shop and my dad said he would buy me something to drive when the time came but i doubt it..
and i can get help with it at work too. hope yall can follow this.. its confusing

-Cam is in class :thumbup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Classic Volkswagen Thread (19xx-1977

Ok What about the White one formerly Yellar . <<< Hate that Colour ! But truth is My Baja is Yellar and Grey . It's Just that A Yellow bugg look's So much like a Lemon . << Has a Psychological affect on me ???

Tunnel Rebuildin is Like a Permanant thing . << It's A lott of Work ! Not really Feasible too Do A Auto stick conversion then switch it from Car too Car .

As Too heads in the Garage << New rebuilt ? Look around the Valve Springs inside the Head , Do they have Numbers stamped intoo the head . GO3 043, 044, 041 ETC Are they Dual port ? <<< 2 Holes in the intakes instead of 1 hole in the intake ? Intakes being where the Gas Goe's in the Head .

Way too test heads , if there used , is Too pour Gass intoo the Intake Ports , Then look at the Big Intake Valves <<, see if gas leak's thru .
If it takes say 2 -3 minutes for gas too barely seep thru Mean's there sealin in Valve seat's <<, Good
If The Valves get Wett Almost instantly <<, Then there not sealing .<<, Badd
Then Turn Head on it's end Pour Gas intoo the Exhaust port . <<, same deal Look at the smaller Exhaust Valve, >>> do each end of the Head seperately .On the exhaust valves. Do one end then flip Head do other end .

Be aware that Finn's on Cylinders , and heads are fragile . <<< No Prying , tapping , Dropping , Clangin intoo each other ETC As in do not fold spindle or Mutilate <<< $$$$$$$ .

As too engine case . Volkswagen's had 3 Basic types of cases in T-1 . Old Single releif, 1200cc 40 horsers <<< good if Full flowed . Then old 1300 Cc Single releif Cases . <<< These Suck . I wont build one .
Too build one is too throw Good money after Badd .
Then you have the AS-41 Dual releif Case . dual releif Cases are typically Dog house cooler cases . Have bigger oil ports , Bigger oil Pump's ! << What you wanna Build is the AS-41 Dual releif Case .
Ones we get now aday's are Brazillian . << there aluminum , as the German version of same case's were Magnesium Alloy. Either one of these cases are acceptable as a Viable Case too build .

As too how too tell a single releif from a Dual releif Case <<, On bottom of the Case On drivers side there will be 2 Big Capp screws . 1 Will be by Fly Wheel ,, As in up front . Then the 2nd Capp screw will be in back of the motor by the Crank Pulley . <<< Dual releif Case
Single releif cases only have 1 Capp screw by the Fly wheel end .

Cases split apart intoo 2 Halves ,, Terminology too learn here .>> Is the oil side 1/2 of the case , and the cover side of the case . << Try too remember this . will help in that when I refer too it you will know what side of the case im refering too .

As too Lowering ?? Typically Lowering any Car << In my opinion turn's them intoo hammerd Junk ! 1000, or more College trained , Brain's Spent year's as a Developement Team , with million's of dollar's worth of funding too . Develope the suspension system's of almost every individual make model of car's.

Now Cousin Jethro or Jose with his 8 th grade Education, and a 500 Dollar Balance in his Bank account . Is not likely too Design or re design the Suspension system of a car , that will handle , or take the road , The way a Factory designed , suspension system developed by a College educated Design team with almost Unlimited Corporate Funding , has designed . <<< Consider this , when Lowering or Raiseing or affecting Suspension's , On any Car !

But Luckily for You ? Volkswagen had Porsche <<, Design team as a Base too jump from !

Be aware . There is the Cheap wrong way too lower a volkswagen . Then there is the Expensive Right , Performance Proven way too Lower a Volkswagen .

T-1 Bugg's are one of the few Car's , when lowerd correctly with right stuff . << That it is an Actual improvement on it's driving, and handling performance . We use Dropped Spindles in the Front . <<, about 850 $$ when Front disc Brakes are Added ? And then in the Rear I prefer Stock Height But Adjustable Torsion Arm's can be Lowerd Also . <<< Lott more on this Later !

Turns the Car intoo a Porsche as far as handling is Concerned !

As too Suicide Door's <<, I dont like um . Reason's are Many ! Kinda Back too the, college educated Design Team Theology . Considering How many times the G/F slash Wife / Soon too be X wife , Getts Madd, Jump's out Slamm's the Door ! Or Cousin Jethro Slamm's the Door, cause he's an idiot . Lil Junior here in 10 Or so Years <<< Probably be Hangin off the Door's, swingin back and forth, etc ????

In my Opinion Door's need too be in Good workin order and Durable ? <<, Hard too beat Factory Designed door's for durability .

But I like 1 Peice windows in a Custom, street Bugg . << These Do away with the Wind Wing's . In fact I have 2 Sett's with Window regulator's Ive been Savin . But 3 Main car's I have are an OEM Restoration and 2 Baja Bugg's .

On Baja buggs <<, too Rough a Terrain too really runn 1 Peice Cal look windows. Then my OEM Bug needs Too be OEM <<, Mean's > Original Equipment Manufactured !

Be careful on the 1 Peice Door Windows <<, Once again theres Jethro's way of Doin them , Then theres right way of Doin um ! Dont wanna spend money on Tint and Glass too have window fall down inside the door and Shatter ???

Lil Note on Door's << Call it an observation , of the Human Condition ! But note on Older car's Not yett fully restored , That it is Almost alway's the Passenger Side Door that Doesnt Work Right . << In most Cases . It's the one that Doesnt open right or Close right or has been Tweeked , some how ?

Then Consider , this the Drivers Side Door gett's used almost 3 time's as much if not 4 time's as much . Why ? Cause driver is most usually the Owner of the Car . He doesnt get madd Slamm his Car door . << Back too the Madd G/f / Wife / Soon too be X wife theory ? Or gravity Challenged females who like too prop there Back side's up on the Door's usin um for a Chair . <<, real problem with Mustang's and Camaro Cars .
There's No door frames around the windows on these Door's ? Along with the Lenght of , the Camaro , Stang , Cougar Door's ETC . <<, Meaning if you lett some 16 Year old Gravity challenged Female use these Door's too Prop her Back side up on . <<< Door's Hashed ! Door Jamm is Hashed !

Same deal with Pick up's <<< roof of a Pick up . <<< Chick's Just wanna sitt up there ? Dont Allow it ! Will cave it In ! << Almost impossible too fix ! ETC.
Drive defensively , Park defensively , Take care of your Blank . Dont allow Others Too disrespect your Ride.

Chick putts her feet up on your Dash ? Pull in too nearest Bus stop . Hand her Coupla Qaurters tell her too get out ! Yeah Im not even gonna Go intoo, Chick's that eat Sun Flower Seed's !!!!!
Ok ! pretty Evident, I have Few Issue's :D Ha , Ha , Ha , Hee , Hee , Snicker, Snicker,

Sean

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would not swap the auto stick and the manual. just build the yellow one stick and build it the way you wont the stick and then build the auto stick the way you wont it. But I would not swap the auto for the stick. lots of work that does not need to be done since both cars are gone be built in the end.

·
Army Strong
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
347mazda said:
I would not swap the auto stick and the manual. just build the yellow one stick and build it the way you wont the stick and then build the auto stick the way you wont it. But I would not swap the auto for the stick. lots of work that does not need to be done since both cars are gone be built in the end.
the problem is i've already started on the autostick one and its turning out that its going to be my first car ...for now.... until my dad buys me somethin(never most likely) so i want something better than a stock beetle

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I would still not swap them lots of work your gone do to swap the auto for the 4 speed. And I mean alot your gone have to cut into the tunnel of the car (hump that runs down the length) and swap stuff out in it. swap the pedals. And other stuff I don't even know about.

What have you done to the auto so far. You might wont to just stop what your doing and start on the 4 speed. Or something else you can do is swap pans. The body will bolt to ether pan. Only problem with that is the Vin is also stamped on the pan as well as the window cowl. I have heard that some states check that. And the Vin's have to match were as other states do not check so it will not matter. So ether pan will work with ether body.

·
Army Strong
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
347mazda said:
Well I would still not swap them lots of work your gone do to swap the auto for the 4 speed. And I mean alot your gone have to cut into the tunnel of the car (hump that runs down the length) and swap stuff out in it. swap the pedals. And other stuff I don't even know about.

What have you done to the auto so far. You might wont to just stop what your doing and start on the 4 speed. Or something else you can do is swap pans. The body will bolt to ether pan. Only problem with that is the Vin is also stamped on the pan as well as the window cowl. I have heard that some states check that. And the Vin's have to match were as other states do not check so it will not matter. So ether pan will work with ether body.
well this one has the engine in it (2 hour or more job to change engine)
and i've fully cleaned it

and really thats it

·
Registered
128 Posts
Classic Volkswagen thread (19xx-1977 )

Yeah It is a whole Lotta work too Swapp Auto stick too 4 Speed . << Kinda Permanant Conversion .

As too 2 hours ? <<<<< Ask my Kidd's how Mean I am ! 5 Boy's ! <<< Make um wash the Spare tire with scrub Brush afore it Goe's on the Car . Miss a spot washin the Car . <<< Re - wash whole Car !

Should have, paid attention, done it right the first time ! look's too me like you need, the practice !

Get use too it ! High Performance Bugg's are the Most aggravateing , time consumeing Car's I have ever dealt with .
It is nothin too tear a motor apart , and put it back together 5 or 6 times , too get it right ! On A rebuild that's Gone fairly well 5 or 6 times . 10 or 20 Time's if you dont pay Attention ?

On Vw Main bearing's there held in place in the case with Tiny 1/4 inch long Dowel pinn,s . 5 of Um ! << when motor's Finished ! You dont wanna look on the bench , and find a Main bearing dowel pinn, under a ragg or in a crevice etc. <<, Mean's you left it out ? Will instantly spinn the Main ! Lock motor down etc.

My Father's favorite prank ! Is too wait until im excited about final assembly ! I be all braggin ? Happy , Excited ! But his favorite prank is too plant an xtra Main bearing Dowell pinn on my clean bench .

Yeah ! Badd part is ? He wont fess up too it either ? The more you begg ? More he deny's doing it ! Then after you argue with him , about it , for hour's !

He will, finally confess too doing it . Generally a 1/2 hearted confession , that you dont know wether too beleive or not ?

Yeah Phrases like, if that's what you need too hear ? Ok I did it ! Confession's !

Yeah Paulie On O.C. Choppers has it easy , Compared too me ! Paulie needs too quit Whineing about Paul senior . << I think Paul senior is a nice Guy ! I Would trade him Dad's in a Heart beat ! Paulie Dont even know what , stress, pressure,total frustration, and aggravation is ! :D

As too your Pic's . I cant tell by your pic's where Cancer Stop's and Car began's . You need too Get a Pakistan /AKA Taiwanneeese Lock blade Knife 2 ta 3 inches long. Start Scrapeing ! <<, Keep ya busy for a while !

Then Wire brush it as I described in previous post , with a Brush on a 4 in Angle grinder << 20 Buck's Harbour freight . Switchin of too a Drill with a wire brush .

Absolutely wear Eye protection , Goggles ! Then if under the Car on your Back ? Goggles and face mask . <<, Turn your brain on . Be carefull !

When you get that Done take new Pic's . Lett's see if we can figure out where the Cancer stop's , and where the Car begin's .

Really nice Car's have 1000's Of man hour's invested in them . << Aint gonna happen in a week , or a Month . Work hard , Pay attention ! Might wind up with a Road worthy Mock up of a Badd Bugg in Say 6 Mos. time .

But then again ? Ive spent 6 mos, just Buildin a motor once !

Sean :D

·
Army Strong
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha

i'm in class

whoo hoo

lol

and i was watching Abbot and Costello.. (old vids) on you tube

and a buddy of mine whos helpingme wire up the interior when i customize my

VW...his name is anthony..

anyway

i was watching abbot and costello and anthony leans over and says CUT THAT ***** OFF.. its geting annoying

lol

but i was wondering...if i shaved the fenders off my customized my beetle

when i take the fenders off.. is that all i do?

just bondo.fiberglass over the holes?

and when i finish this one i decided that there will be 2 left.. so i'll have a parts car and a good car.. so i've decided to jack it up.. with a roof rack and a brush bumber guard hella lights and and some cool mud tires..

then of course i'd have to shave the fenders on it too.. or cut them in half..

but i think it'd be pretty cool

the 1969 and up have Indendent Suspension...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah Lil trick Ive used over the Year's On Vw fenders and any hipp fender on any car is too use a 1/4 in. diameter or less wire on outside, arch .
Hipp style fenders tend too Crack on Out side edges . << Just bend Wire in an arc around out side lipp .
Then tack weld or Fyberglass in .
As too Vw fender's after market , fyber glass fenders are availiable .
I use a Cut off Tool too cut them Down . <<< (eye protection and Particles mask ) But yeah Cut them down any Figure you want !
Can Buy whole Front Clipp that's Fyber Glass . << Lighter ???
Anything that make's your Buggy Lighter <<< Is faster !
But beaware Lighter Get's Blown around in the wind on Freeway considerably .
On my Baja I lightend it by at least 200 LBS if not more .
But Off sett it By goin with Steel 8 In. wide rim's with an Off Sett . << Wider stance , Weight is lowerd . <<< Handles great, in the wind !
Down side too this is I got a Small motor trying too turn these bigg heavy rimm's ?? <<< Need more power now !
Down side too more power is Breakage ? That And Front end Pop !
Instead of Spinnin um off ? It tend's Too Pop up in front .
Wish'd Instead I would have Gone with Center Lines , Heavier Tire's ?
But heavier Tire's generally mean's Taller on Baja's .
Taller Tire's on Vw's Changes Gear ratio's Considerably ! Small motor's need too be geared properly or you lose Power . << Continually down shifting !
Or with shorter tires It's Too low geared .

As too my Steel spoke Rimm's with an Off Sett or deep dish ? << can walk around corners at high speed . Stop on a Dime . Lower center of Gravity . Has it's Up's . I dont get blown around by the wind nearly as badd as my Stock Bugg . Just wish'd I had Gone center line Rimm's , So it didnt robb me of the Torque !

But they were 300 Buck's More . Prone too being Bent , Dinged , Curbed ! Yeah 1000 Excuses only real excuse was the 800 Dollar price Tagg on Center line's !

Like I said Im in middle of Remodeling a Kitchen . Soon as I get Caught Up will post Some Pic's .
I Did a Short Cut on my Fyber glass fenders . <,7 Peice Fyberglass Baja kitt ! Short Cutt it By shaving the fenders . Mostly in part Cause I got My Baja as a Car !
Had been wrecked Front and Rear . Too Get ridd of Dreaded Vw Scrunch in Front and Rear I Customized my Baja kitt too A Short Cutt Baja style .
People like it ?

Note Older Hipp Fenders <<<, Worth Money ! Dont cut up older Hipp Style Fenders ! << The curves , Hipp's are Considerd in the Automotive Trade , As the Product of the Master's , as in none eqauled in the Automotive Industry By any Standard !

Sean

·
Army Strong
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
on my baja i havent decided yet

but the auto stick is deff. comming out

but when i take off the fenders.. there will be little holes..

where the bolts went through

should i just leave it like that.. or cover holes (whats the best way)

and when i take it off..

is there anything i need to do to the torsion bars or anything?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sure VW's can be hotrodded. Here is one I built.

I sold the two cars in that pic to buy this fun little vw that I'm restoring.

Seems like most people have owned a beetle at one time or another. They are fun cars and limitless ways to modify them and be an individual while being part of a group.
Scott

·
Army Strong
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

okay dude.. how long did it take you to buid that out of a ghia?

dangg you got time

lol

that kind of style is what i'm looking for in a beetle

a low-rider.. fenderless.. but not choptoped yet..

if it turns out good.. then i'll chop it.. but i really wanna make it awewsome lol

b/c its being ragged at school about being a ghetto 57 HP car..

i want about 150-200.. which isnt impossible but it is hard and gunna cost

·
Banned
204 Posts
The Volkswagen air cooled engine was run it's coarse, any and everything that could have be done to the things has all ready been completed. At one time I was as big a fan as there ever was, I built and rebuilt several bugs (type I) and had several sand rails and one dragster (turbo and Nitrous)all powered by the air cooled type I engine. What else can you do to it? The new has worn off, for most years or decades ago, and there just isn't anything to be gained. The truth is, if you build a engine you really threw away an awful lot of money that could have been much better spent on a Subaru or other Volkswagen Type I replacement engines. I even felt myself get a little wicked up when I read about the Meyers Manic's, they look really cool and bring back alot of memories, but even with the new cool fiberglass cars that don't have to be shortened to fit on a Type I chassis, I caught myself asking why anyone would buy one and stick a Type I engine in it. Even the guy the created the car, was selling the option of a Subaru engine, noting the Volkswagen just doesn't work all that well. The problem is the engine just kills itself when you try to push anything above a normal amount of HP form them. Know one wants a 65HP car and even at 100HP the thing isn't that quick. I thought about rebuilding one and bringing to the table a modern fuel injection system, for power and mainly reliability, but why? You still get a engine that sounds like a bug, has little HP and even less torque..Maybe it's just me?? My last engine, a large single turbo with nitrous and every big dollar part they offered, cost a fortune to build and got absolutely no respect from anyone. The maintenance was always a huge issue and you always felt like the engine was ready to explode at any time. Not to mention the moody-fruity fuel system that changed with every weather system and always seemed a tad off. I feel In love with the buggy as a kid, I liked the fact that I could tear into the engine, that not many knew about and make them run faster, and better then anyone else could. I liked the mechanical theory and simplicity of design...but every design has it's limits and I seem to have found them long ago.
As for the new Meyers Manic, yes it's cool and will most likely sell a few Volks engines, but your missing the boat it you don't slide a nice Subaru motor in the thing. Quit operation, Torque, most likely more then the thing will handle, HP..just ask how much do you need, you can go from safe at 135HP to insane at 300HP all factory with great street manors and smooth operation. Any more the Volkswagen is laughed at in the sand, it just doesn't make sense any more to run one.
Will I always have a soft spot for the buggy, yes, both my wife and I both owned a buggy long before we meet, she still drove one the day we meet, it is what sealed the deal. But they are out dated, to the point that they no longer seem fashionable , practical, or sensible.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What fun is owning a car that is practical or sensible? If you are looking for speed, there certainly are cheaper ways of going fast. My experience with old vw motors are more reliable and easier to maintain then there american counterparts from the same period. It is also nice being able to remove your engine in about a half hour by yourself with minimal tools if something does go really wrong. My speedster isn't fast but it is spirited. 90hp in a 1500lb car can still be plenty of fun. Parts are plentiful and can be very cheap if you don't go radical. I'm not claiming they are the best motors but they certainly have a place and that is why they inspire so much loyalty in their owners.
Scott

1 - 20 of 22 Posts