Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally pulled the diff out of the 52 Henry J. The posi only works on very smooth,slick concrete. I was amazed by how clean it was as the car was build some years ago. Obviously low mileage lol Having it looked at by a rear end shop but was wondering what you'al might be able to tell me by the pictures.

Attachments

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,758 Posts
You didn't take pictures of the important part. The side cover on the differential is the weak part. If it has any cracks in it then trash it and get a new one. The case is the standard one and should be fine for a street car and light drag racing.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't take pictures of the important part. The side cover on the differential is the weak part. If it has any cracks in it then trash it and get a new one. The case is the standard one and should be fine for a street car and light drag racing.
I'm not sure by what you mean "side cover"

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,758 Posts
The Traction Lock differential has a 2 piece case. The ring gear bolts go through the 2 pieces and hold it together. The thinner part is the cover that houses the clutch plates, This is the weak part and it will break. I've seen many of them that were cracked and not completely broken yet. Look at post number 5 in this thread and you will see what I mean. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ford-9-ring-gear-questions-233269.html

The differential that you have is not a "POSI", it's a Traction Lock. Eaton makes the Posi, but the name is so popular that many people call all limited slip differentials. "Posi"

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Traction Lock differential has a 2 piece case. The ring gear bolts go through the 2 pieces and hold it together. The thinner part is the cover that houses the clutch plates, This is the weak part and it will break. I've seen many of them that were cracked and not completely broken yet. Look at post number 5 in this thread and you will see what I mean. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/ford-9-ring-gear-questions-233269.html

The differential that you have is not a "POSI", it's a Traction Lock. Eaton makes the Posi, but the name is so popular that many people call all limited slip differentials. "Posi"
Post #5 cleared it up. Thank you.

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,661 Posts
If there's any doubt about your cover's integrity, Quick Performance sells a billet side cover...

Russ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts