Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can i use to clean the body before i paint it. I would rather use something cheap vs. some name brand cleaner like tar and wax remover. Could I use acetone or laqure thinner?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Go to Auto Zone they have a can of stuff to clean before you paint. Think its called metal prep. In a lioght blue can about 5-6 bucks I think. And then use a tack cloth.

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

·
8,453 Posts
Lacquer thinner can be used and is effective but you must use a clean damp cloth and wipe it gingerly. Don't let it stand or get wet or it will quickly soften the existing paint. If you have pre sanded the entire car with 320, then a lacquer rubdown and tack ragging should get you ready for a coat of sealer followed by color/clear coats.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
I use MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone), it leaves no residue and will not dissolve any paint except for laquer (including uncatylyzed primers!). It's cheap like borsch and evaporates like alcohol (good ventilation!). Most chemical supply houses will have it. Here's an <a href="http://www.temarry.com/MSDS/Methyl_Ethyl_Ketone_msds.htm" target="_blank">MSDS</a> on it's properties and safety/health concerns.

[ December 10, 2002: Message edited by: 4 Jaw Chuck ]</p>

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
We used to use enamel thinner to pre-clean. Will not attack different paints like lacquer thinner.

Kevin

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
My brother uses this stuff called precleaner I think, it's made for this and is inexpensive and has a fast rate of evaporation. It's not as cheap as alot of stuff, but it is made for this task. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts