Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i pressure washed my block w/ crank,rod,pistons in, and used simple green on it to degrease it to paint the block. it is now painted, and i am ready to put a cam/heads/pan, etc on it. how can i clean the innards of the block before i assemble it. after i pressure washed it, i tried to blow away as much water as possible, then i sprayed it with WD-40. but there is still some water in there, and im sure theres more dust and debris.

also, how can i turn the crank over? i have the harmonic balancer bolt, but is it ok to use it to turn the engine, because it will bottom out without the balancer right?

Thanks,
Jerome

·
Registered
977 Posts
That was a big mistake in my opinion. A pressure washer will blast water into places were it won't dry out for quite a while. I would not be surprised to find water on the bearing journals trapped by the bearing as well as water trapped between the pistons and cylinder walls rusting the rings.
I would completely disassemble the shortblock for a complete cleaning and drying before you have real problems. I don't suggest it but many people have reassembled engines with the old rings and bearings if they are in good shape and great care is taken.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm a neat freak too and everything has to be clean; even if it's going to get dirty anyway. But, I don't think it was the right thing to do although I understand why you did it. Everything is going to have to be disassembled, cleaned, dried, checked , and reassembled to be certain it's alright. But, who knows, you might get lucky; surely I would'nt. BUTCH.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah, well sure wasnt the answer i was hoping for.

just for future reference, whats the correct way to clean an assembled shortblock thats been sitting in the garage for half a year?

thanks,
Jerome

·
Registered
977 Posts
ljjjrome said:
ah, well sure wasnt the answer i was hoping for.

just for future reference, whats the correct way to clean an assembled shortblock thats been sitting in the garage for half a year?

thanks,
Jerome
Spray it with kerosene or solvent. Clean the out side first. Give it plenty of time to drip and evaporate. It may never completely dry. Brake parts cleaner will get the solvent residue off the outside so that the paint will stick. Get some lube on the cam lobes and be sure to prelube it before starting the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.