Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
jkrestoration
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone out there have new F-150's or dodge rams or any kind of jeep with there new "green" material..they say you can take a new jeep and run it threw mud and hose it off and its brand new again...welll its not....but this is a fairly simple way to get these types of materials clean...taking the seats apart...spraying them with shout...washing them in the washer and hanging them to dry...we do 3 to 5 a week...this is a 2004 sonata we did today...

by letting it air dry and not dry in the dryer it doesnt damage the materials in the seat...this is a cheap and fairly easy way to detail cars in a way most detail shops cant...doesnt hurt to be ahead of the game! hope this can help someone...

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
The newer synthetic fabrics lend themselves to this method, but don't try it on an older car interior. By older, I mean 30 years and older. Newer car seats are also a lot easier to take off and put back on.

·
jkrestoration
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i've done late 70's and cars through the 80's....older seats are so much easier to take apart then newer seats...anything foreign that is new is the most complicated. just did a 2004 volkswagen beetle and it took nearly an hour each seat. Took my 1954 belair front seat apart this morning to clean up and took under 30 minutes...all the new seats have airbags and lumbar adjustments and seat heaters and electric tracks....alot more complicated...no more hog rigs either...lots of difficult little snaps and clips...

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
I'm sure you have cleaned a lot of car seats. And of course you are right that attaching a simple basic bench seat cover like your Bel Air is a lot simpler than some of the new seats. What I was referring to was any of the old seat covers with listings and wires and hog rings. Those types of seat covers are very hard for someone who has never done them. The new seats, once you have disconnected the wires for all the electric goodies are much more simple to attach to the seat foam and frame. They use Velcro and Velstick or springs and hooks instead of wires and listings to attach the seat cover to the foam base, and "J" channel and Velcro to attach the cover to the frame. Also, the older seats, like 50's Chevies, have a lot of cotton and burlap and latex foam which has deteriorated and is very inviting for mice and other rodents to make nests out of. This stuff is also very hard to work with and make the cover look good. This is a Chevy seat out of a '53 150 4 door that has had the springs repaired, the seat deck and all the foam replaced, and new seat covers made. It was a lot harder to do than just taking off the old seat cover and replacing it like in a newer car. The first picture is of the rear seat, and the second picture is of the front seat. There was nothing of the front seat to take a picture of.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.