Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the proper way to clean wires. My truck wires are in good shape but just dirty. Can you use acetone or brake cleaner?

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Ditto on the WD-40. I sometimes pick up old wiring off the harness pile at my local junkyard for restoring with an original look. WD-40 cleans the crud off and leaves them shiny and clean.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Gunk Engine cleaner and a pressure wash at the local 25 cent car wash works just fine for this.

If you don't really want to get the Bay and engine dirty with over-spray, you Can use 409 Cleaner and a soft plastic bristled hand brush, and lay a tarp around the wire harness. Be ginger on how you scrub, so as not to splash dirty liquid on the rest of the engine bay.

Carb and brake cleaners tend to dry and fade wires. Avoid them.

WD 40 is OK, it is (believe it or not.) a solvent to grease and oils..BUT you have to clean it all off after, as it will attract dust twice a fast, and your harness will look cruddy again in no time..It is also a good water displacer.

When you clean wires, I have learned, It is best to stick with soapy based cleaning products (like household cleaners) and wipe throughly after cleaning.

Hope it helps!

Doc :pimp:

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
CDJr said:
Now Doc, you know good and well there aint been no 25-cent car washes around for years! :D
Sure there are - 25 cents for every 30 seconds :welcome:

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
CDJr said:
Now Doc, you know good and well there aint been no 25-cent car washes around for years! :D
Went the other day to wash my truck.....$3, just to start the thing...a Loonie and a Toonie.........Canadians will know what I said.......lasted about 4 minutes.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yeah avoid Petroleum product's any where Plastic or Rubber is used . If you just have too ?
Due too baked on grease . Immediately wash with mild soap and water .

.25 cent car wash > We just had a local Car wash that accepted ATM card's too wash your car ? <, Common place here !

Yeah Ripped every one off ! Money trail went from the Car wash, in So Cal too Las Vegas Nev. << Go figure that !

Now that's a Clean Crook ? Only in the Peoples Communist Republic of California ? Ifn It's Wacky ? It happen's here !

Cant imagine the Dispatch on that ?

This is 1 - Adam 12 Were in Pursuit of a High Roller in a Clean Car ! :D

Sean

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Dish soap. I have used joy and palmolive. No residue.

Just mix it up in some warm or hot water and buy a new (Or use your wifes) toothbrush. Then just wipe it with a towel. No oily film like with WD40.
WD40 works great but if its a daily driver it will get dusted up and actually look worse than before. I know that first hand.
Ditto for the Gunk engine brite. That stuff stinks like crap too. Use that stuff in a well ventilated area. It does work well though with no scrubbing. Just spray it on and the crap just runs off.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Arrowhead said:
Sure there are - 25 cents for every 30 seconds :welcome:

Exactly!

What I omitted, was HOW many 25 cent pieces it took to get four minutes of time... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last time I needed a credit card and the name of my first born male child.. :D

When I was growing up in Oakland, (Back when Tools were made by the Bedrock foundry, ) We had one of the FIRST of Self Serve Stations, Simas Brothers, (Maybe some of you local guy's that are olde as dirt remember..)Where , the Fuel during the gas wars was 19 Cents a gallon, AND you could change your Transmission on the Coin op lube rack for 25 cents an hour!!

Now a~day's, you can't get air and water for under 50 cents a minute!

·
Registered
75 Posts
lafayette

docvette said:

Exactly!

What I omitted, was HOW many 25 cent pieces it took to get four minutes of time... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last time I needed a credit card and the name of my first born male child.. :D

When I was growing up in Oakland, (Back when Tools were made by the Bedrock foundry, ) We had one of the FIRST of Self Serve Stations, Simas Brothers, (Maybe some of you local guy's that are olde as dirt remember..)Where , the Fuel during the gas wars was 19 Cents a gallon, AND you could change your Transmission on the Coin op lube rack for 25 cents an hour!!

Now a~day's, you can't get air and water for under 50 cents a minute!

DOC; Lafayette,Calif. is that Siskiyou county ???

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use waterless hand cleaner on a rag, then just pull the wire(s) through. If it's gentle enough for hands, it will not damage wires.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
handsome harv said:
DOC; Lafayette,Calif. is that Siskiyou county ???

No , Contra Costa County.

We're about 25 Miles East Of San Francisco..and a Tunnel ride to Oakland.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts