Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
4 chevys and a ford
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is not the right way to do it, but...
My red chevy work van has 2 spots on the hood that are peeling. whats up with chevy's paint? Ive had 10, and all but my 99 silverado suffer paint issues. My 86 Caprice was peeling by 1990. See the white work vans with large patches peeled off everywhere?

Granted this van is 20 years old. Its has held up better than other chevys ive had.

I just want to freeze the peeling process for as long as possible.
The area is small. I realize the transition between existing and new paint will have a ridge, but bright red hides almost everything. It looks great from 10 feet away. Get close and you can see its 20 years of dents, dings , and scratches.

Can I peel off the loose section, spray on clear coat, from a can, and buff it?
To stop that area from peeling further? I realize the problem is under the existing coat, but I just want to buy some time. It seems like it could help with the wind ripping more clear coat off. Like a shield bonded to sturdier paint on either side of the issue.

What say you?

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
There are mobile painters who do touchup work like this in parking lots and driveways. I saw one locally at our mall; sanded the raggedy edges back till there was something solid to work from, then there was a product he said softens the existing clear, and he touched up the body color and blended in a new clear. The ridge was essentially imperceptible.

·
True Hotrodder
1,327 Posts
You can YouTube some repairs about it. You will need to progressively sand the edges of the clear down to about 2500-3000 grit. You do not go through the color base. Then you can sand out an area away from the edges to allow some blending. Shoot per normal and buff as needed. The problem is usually water getting underneath the clear and lifting it from the base. A lot of vehicles since about mid-90s or so are coated in water borne paint to achieve EPA compliance. I know the chemistry of it is better today but back then it wasn't too good.

Reactions: briansansone

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
My 2000 van is starting quickly in the front of the roof. For a temp fix I sprayed white rustoleum on it but I really didn't prepare the surface well and it and more came off. Something about that primer below. I'm used to rustoleum sticking to anything? This spring I'm going to do the scary thing and hit the entire roof with an air nozzle and see what comes off then sand and paint with real paint. Had minor peeling spots on the drivers door and just happened to try brushing on a little of rustoluem touch up "epoxy" and the color was perfect. It held up although I later read the directions and it's for indoor use? I think it's for cabinets? All I know is I get in and out of the van all the time and haven't noticed that spot in months. (white) The spray bomb was easily noticeably a different shade of white.

·
4 chevys and a ford
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2000 van is starting quickly in the front of the roof. For a temp fix I sprayed white rustoleum on it but I really didn't prepare the surface well and it and more came off. Something about that primer below. I'm used to rustoleum sticking to anything? This spring I'm going to do the scary thing and hit the entire roof with an air nozzle and see what comes off then sand and paint with real paint. Had minor peeling spots on the drivers door and just happened to try brushing on a little of rustoluem touch up "epoxy" and the color was perfect. It held up although I later read the directions and it's for indoor use? I think it's for cabinets? All I know is I get in and out of the van all the time and haven't noticed that spot in months. (white) The spray bomb was easily noticeably a different shade of white.
Get a red van next. Its shocking how much red hides. Its like a big red mirror. All the red reflections off the surroundings work like super camo. Its incredible. Once you start loosing that shiny clear coat tough, thats the end of it.
Its a business van, so I dont mind the bright red. Its kinda m brand now. I'd probably feel weird driving around the family in a bright red vehicle. But red sure does hold up well. Im trying to find a red Transit now. Kinda hard to find.
I think im taking a break from Chevy. Though I realize the old saying " they dont build them like they used too", doesnt hold up anymore. except maybe EPA friendly additions, like water paint, and soy plastic wire sheathing.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Peeling vans. Start with the hood on a Saturday. Razorblade, it will come right off. Then sand and paint, spraybomb prime the few bare metal spots first. Then next weekend tackle the roof. Assuming a work van in construction business. Not fancy custom van for shows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts