Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I painted my 65 mustang 3 years ago I used acryllic enamel.the bodywork came out really slick and the paint looks good except it just will not shine like it should.I was thinking about clearcoating it using dupont clear.Will this work? {advice would be nice}

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You can get away with it, but its not recomended. Buy a good BC/CC paint and repaint it. Clearcoating a single stage paint can be done, but its not worth it.

HK

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with Halloweenking to clear over 3 yr old paint would be difficult.I would clean the car very with soap and water then wax and grease remover.I'd wet sand it using 600 or so and clean it good again. Then base coat it and clear it. If you did not use hardner in the acrylic emamel be carefull applying the base coat let it dry good between coats using a little faster reducer than normal .

·
Registered
168 Posts
I also agree , if you're going through all the trouble to get it ready for clear you might as well apply some base first , the expense is in the clear , the base is the inexpensive part .

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I didnt want to repaint is that it is done in a GT350 paint scheme and laying out the LeMans style upper and lower body stripes would be a hassle.Also the paint is dent and chip free but I think you guys are right it really will be very little extra trouble and expense to do it right so I guess I will bite the bullit go for it. thanks!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts