Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Anyone know if they still make clear spark plug wires? I have seen them on a few show cars of the 60s and I Love the look!

Thanks
Jordon

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really know how common they where I was born in 1974 :) But I do remember seeing some on show cars as a kid. I also remember the transparent red ones like you are talking about and I thought they were so cool I wanted my dad to get some for his duster lol.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Mine were on a 392 Hemi I had built for my Coupe, a local engine builder who was very well respected came into our shop, and could have cared less about the engine, he couldn't take his eyes off my wires!
LOL
If you find a link post it, cause I wouldn't mind seeing them again too!

·
Lost in the 50s!
758 Posts
Never seen or heard of them and I am not that young. ;)

I used to see a clear distributor cap in the J C Whitney catalogs. You might check with them.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
sounds pretty sweet... googled it a little between classes and didn't find much besides clear distributor caps and ricer crap. :( Perhaps if we call the guys at mooneyes enough they'll make some... they had a thumbnail pic under google images but it was a dead link.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

The "Clear" wires you speak of..Are actually a Neon Glass tube inserted into the middle of a standard plug wire..with a High tension boot on each end..

The tube is filled with different color gas to change it's "Glow" properties..you can buy them here..

Doc Neon's Glow Job

Brace yourself for some sticker shock though..a set of TWO for a motorcycle is $300 ... using that figure.. 8 will cost you $1200..

And unless your using it for Show...you need to be very careful about vibration and metallic contact..

Plus you could be shooting your performance ignition in the foot by several KV running them..

Doc :pimp:

·
Super Moderator
18,351 Posts
"Doc Neon's Glow Job "

Hehehe...........He said "Glow Job"

and ...."Doc".............Hmmmm...any relation? Now we know where all your money is coming from................... :D

·
Lost in the 60's
15,245 Posts
Doc......They have the cheap ones.......just red see through plastic with a copper wire inside. They look good ....just don't try to listen to the radio.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here.. :pimp:

Shhhhh! ... Don't let that get around... :D

For $1200 a pop , wouldn't you bend and fill glass tubes too?

And my best friends would be Big Paulie..and Jessie James.. :evil:

But , alas...we are only related by profession..

The Hypocritical Oaf...uhhh I mean...Oath being.."First, Do No Miswires"... :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Henry Highrise said:
Doc......They have the cheap ones.......just red see through plastic with a copper wire inside. They look good ....just don't try to listen to the radio.

I shouldn't think the Plastic ones would last very long either..with heat variations and possibility that the gas can escape from a plastic tube..over time , Variation.. :confused:

But then again, never used a plastic one either... :D

Think of your radio as an Engine diagnostic tool... :evil:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I think I remember my Dad having some of those years ago.It was just the clear read plastic coating.They did not light up.

Wow doc 1200$!!! Hey what about this.Why don,t we gut out some old timing lights and mount one bulb to each plug wire and and mount the eight bulbs to the hood or the fenders so they will flash on and off with each plug firing.Ebay here I come!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

What really cracks me up is: You spend $30,000 To build this all out engine...spend $800 for a performance Ignition...All to go fast...

Yeah...let's stick a light bulb in-between the heartbeat of the engine..that'll look KEWL at the drive~in!

And I think I'll add a 1000 pounds of lead in the trunk..that make it go FASTER!!! (only if your soapbox derby racing) :drunk:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow Doc, thoes are toooo cooool ! I think I would need a $1500 coil to go along with the $1200 spark plug wires lol.

The ones I am talking about just have clear ( or tinted red ) transparent jackets, you can still see the wires. I did some looking up and it looks like their solid core wires, so you cant run a radio but I don't have one anyway :)

Crazy Mopar Guy: If I find any more info I will post the links but I cant really find much on them.

I allready have the clear distributor cap. Mr. Gasket still makes them. I am pretty happy with mine. Thick plastic and good quality brass.

Jordon

·
Registered
168 Posts
here's another something to think about with these wires... they're illegal.

If a cop sees your street rod drive by and all his gear goes haywire from EMF interference, he'll pull you over, and give you a fix-it ticket. Also, the same EMF that screws up your radio can also destroy or shutdown EFI computers and the such, so other hotrodders may not like you very much....lol. that of course it rare... but it's one of the reasons SAE switched everyone to high resistance shielded wires.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Speedaway Motors sells Red see-trought spark plug wires. Thet sell in 100 or 20 feet lenght. Here is the link http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/aspx/display_id.2348/itemNo.plug+wire/qx/Product.htm

I remember seeing some pictures of cars with clear plug wires but was unable to find any for sale anywhere. But you might be lucky on Ebay. Also on Ebay, I usually see some red see-trought spark plug wires for sale in 20 or 100 feet lenght. The company that made them was DEKA so it will be easier for you to find anything about them. I hope it helps you.

·
Voices tell me to do this.
27 Posts
I used to get the clear wire I think you are talking about several years ago. You had to get it in a spool and make them up. I will try to find the vendor name and repost. But yes do not listen to the radio! :)

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

OK, I think I confused the "See Through" with Lit plug wires..My bad... :(

But on the Lit, ones (as well as under task wires) gemini86 makes a good point..I don't know about the legality of the wire ... BUT a High tension Pulse let loose into the "Air" can wreak Havoc on Static architecture Electronics..looking for a ground...First of which would be the Ignition module..40 KV all dressed up and no where to go...Injector computers, and the like..

As far as a Cop complaining about RFI on his Public Service radio or MDT, just smile and say.."Were even for the last time your 400 MHz Radio lit off my Alarm system at a stop light..And your 800 MHz MDT, activated my remote starter.." :pain: :thumbup: I don't think I ever heard of anybody getting a Ticket for "Excessive EFI" ...before..but I have heard of "Distracting Non DOT Standard Lighting" Tickets..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts