Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just finished my 383 and installed it into my truck. I purchased a new high torque started and tried to install it. The gear of the starter engaged the flywheel by a quarter of an inch. WRONG. So I tried it on the 350 I just took out and yup, it works just fine. So I took a measurement of the flywheel to block clearance. The 383 has .75 or 3/4 of an inch from outside of fly to block. The 350 has 1.125 or 1-1/8 clearance from outside of fly to block. Question, WHY? What could cause the difference? MS_tom help....

Thanks

hr41pearl :cool:

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
If you look carefully the ring gear is usually welded to one side or the other. You need to make sure that you dont have the flywheel installed backwards.

Chris

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
machine shop tom said:
Yup, flywheel's on bass ackwards.

tom

At least you found it BEFORE you installed the engine....... :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
VERY INTERESTING

Hard to get that German accent in the subject line. I reversed the fly wheel and the clearance is EXACTLY the SAME. Now what? And yes, I had already installed the motor and and everything. I was waiting on the high torque starter, which came Saturday. When I tried to install it, that was when Murphy decided to stop by for a visit.

hr41pearl :cool:

Second thought. Is it possible that I have a 350 flywheel and I should really have a 400 flywheel? This is a 383 motor. If so, is there a spacer on the 400 or an offset?

hr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts