Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just finished my 383 and installed it into my truck. I purchased a new high torque started and tried to install it. The gear of the starter engaged the flywheel by a quarter of an inch. WRONG. So I tried it on the 350 I just took out and yup, it works just fine. So I took a measurement of the flywheel to block clearance. The 383 has .75 or 3/4 of an inch from outside of fly to block. The 350 has 1.125 or 1-1/8 clearance from outside of fly to block. Question, WHY? What could cause the difference? MS_tom help....

Thanks

hr41pearl :cool:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
VERY INTERESTING

Hard to get that German accent in the subject line. I reversed the fly wheel and the clearance is EXACTLY the SAME. Now what? And yes, I had already installed the motor and and everything. I was waiting on the high torque starter, which came Saturday. When I tried to install it, that was when Murphy decided to stop by for a visit.

hr41pearl :cool:

Second thought. Is it possible that I have a 350 flywheel and I should really have a 400 flywheel? This is a 383 motor. If so, is there a spacer on the 400 or an offset?

hr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.