Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm usually using dupont 7900 for the clear coat and I'm going to paint my 87 Buick Grand National soon and I want it to be as nice as possible.

A Dupont guy told me that I should use the 72500S instead of the 7900, the difference will be incredible, blablabla.... Is it true or he just want to sell me his expensive stuff for nothing, we are talking about more than twice the price !!
BTW, I cannot bake it so take that into consideration.

My buffer guy is really good but he never worked with 72500S... any consideration on this side ?

Do you know some web site where they sell this clear coat? I just want to be sure that he is asking a fair price... 700$ for a gallon of clear seems a bit craze to me .... even for Canadian money ;-)

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
$700 a gallon for clear is absolutely robbery IMHO. There are clears that are much cheaper that are just as good as anything DuPont offers, and that is from DuPont retiree....me. Unless you are just intent on using DuPont clear you might consider Southern Polyurethane clear. SPI has a great following on this forum and is much cheaper and just as good if not better.

Vince

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers !!

I saw that SPI have 2 clears, the "universal" and the HS... what is the difference ? I'll probably give a try for the SPI but not for my GN :nono: don't want to take any chances !! I'll wait for a customer with a crappy car to make the tests ;)

Also, back to my original question, did somebody tried the 72500S and compare it to a "standard" clear like the 7900 ???

I already put big money in that car so if you say that the 72500S make a huge difference, I'll go with that even of the price is ridiculous ! But if you say it's just a scam, Ill stick the the 7900 which I'm use to it !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did anybody already bought the 72500S ? How much do you approximately pay for the clear / activator / hardener ?

for the SPI, this look interresting but it doesn't seem to have a retailler in Canada :-(

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
xpatate said:
did anybody already bought the 72500S ? How much do you approximately pay for the clear / activator / hardener ?

for the SPI, this look interresting but it doesn't seem to have a retailler in Canada :-(

I have never used SPI. But I have use 72500 a lot and it is an awsome clear. I love the way it shoots ,lays down and buffs. I have never payed 700 bucks for it though. My price for a set up of 72500 is 467.09 with tax so a I dont know where the 700 bucks for clear came from. My High end paint jobs...they all get 72500 if I am going base/clear. Tim

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I've used the 7900S and it was good. I've NOT used the other so have no opinion. I've used the SPI Universal Clear. I can say that, even as an amateur painter - I wont use the DuPont again. Thin the SPI 10 to 20% and it will go on as slick as any I have ever seen. SPI pricing is reasonable - they don't have the advertising outlay, i.e. NA$CAR's Jeff Gordon @ $10 to $15 MILLION/year as well as many other venues.

Dave W

·
Chris Ryan
37 Posts
I have not used SPI. I would like to give them a shot soon. I shot PPG 2021 for years before I switched to Dupont clears a couple years ago. I have used Dupont's Chromapremier clears 72200 and 72500. They are top notch and yes there is a difference. 72200 may be a better choice if you do not have a booth. They buff great, u know how PPG's 2021 gets rock hard after awhile and is more difficult to buff, the 72200 and 72500 seem to buff good anytime. Yes they are spendy, but in the grand scheme, isn't it a small portion of our projects?

·
Registered
4 Posts
48Cad, you are helping a lot to take my descision !! so I'll stick to Dupont for this project... and you are **** right, this is such a small part of my moneypit project ;-)

I'll check the specs of the 72200 and the 75500 and I'm not sure what is the difference? 72200 is a productive clear while 72500 is a premium clear... whathever that mean...

... anyway, Ill definitley go with one of these, I'll buy from the US and have it ship near the border and smuggle it next time I go to the US ;-)
Who knows a good web retailler that have the 72200/72500 ??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.