Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
The only cracking I have ever come across with a cleveland, either 2 or 4 v was in the bridge between the valve seats, most prevailant with the 4v head. The main reason for the cracking is because of steam spikes in the cooling system. Because the water flows from the head back into the block before going to the radiator, they clevelands had a tendency to trap steam bubbles, if you want to call them that, above the combustion chamber, predominately to the exhaust side.
the best cure for this it to drill and thread the front of the heads, and install 1 1/4 inch pipe nipples or brass fittings of the same size, then run dual hoses to your radiator or fabricate a collection tank between and above the two nipples, and put a radiator cap on it with a bleed line to allow the steam to blow off. When I ran a cleveland on dirt track I also ran a jumper line across the back of the heads in the same manner and connected them to a heater core, which was elevated above the heads. Between the two, you will definately eliminate the steam spikes, and that will at least reduce if not eliminate the chances of cracking the heads.
An alternative is to scrap the guts out of your thermostat. What ever you do, dont remove the frost plug looking goodie thats just below the thermostat housing in the block. That is the devider between your water going in and water going out. Remove that plug and you wont have any water circulation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Max, Thanks for the info. Engine was inspected by an 'expert' but I have now gone over it myself and water loss was obviously down to gasket failure so problem is not as big as it seemed.

Funny what life throws up, I also raced on oval tracks in the UK and if the 100e pictured is yours, its got to be quite a coincidence
that we came across each other!!

I would be interested in knowing more about both your car and racing history, so if you are agreeable let me know.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Blue, I guess you got my PM on my Anglia by now. It was a real nasty critter on the street and a rea eye catcher. It was ruff and ready, no beauty to look at but it sure got a lot of attention at car shows. I even beat out a few $50K + jobs and got second place trophy at a car show once with it, in the pro street catagory.
One interesting attention getter was that I had II Kings 9:20 written across the trunk lid. If you want to know what thats about, look it up in your Bible. HEHE!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.