Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for some Cleveland heads to put on my 302, particulaly the 4v version with some intake inserts from price motorsports. My question is what pistons to use. I have seen Clevor pistons for a 351 but not necessarily any for a 302. Also how would I go about telling if the heads I get are "shrouded" or "unshrouded"? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to technical terms so don't laugh too hard. Also what head gasket will I need to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forgot to ask....Is modifying the stock pistons an option? I don't really like the sound of that though.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
MagPede said:
I am looking for some Cleveland heads to put on my 302, particulaly the 4v version with some intake inserts from price motorsports. My question is what pistons to use. I have seen Clevor pistons for a 351 but not necessarily any for a 302. Also how would I go about telling if the heads I get are "shrouded" or "unshrouded"? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to technical terms so don't laugh too hard. Also what head gasket will I need to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forgot to ask....Is modifying the stock pistons an option? I don't really like the sound of that though.

Some magazine articles indicate that special pistons are not necessary with moderate lift cams.

Shrouding means the closeness of the edge of the valve to the side of the chamber, which is limited by the bore diameter. It restricts the flow when the valve is open.

More importantly, are your heads a closed or open chamber design? Does the head surface have a flat place on the shallow side of the valves? It should.

Consider your final compression ratio. Open chambers will kill you.

You should check with Bush Performance in Ft. Smith ARkansas. They have all the information and parts for Gary Roughley's original Clevor series engines.

You might also google Clevor Engines, Bush Performance, etc. There is lots of stuff on the net about this conversion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts