Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just recenetly purchased a 1996 chevy s-10 LS with a manual transmission, a 4-cylinder engine, extended cab and short bed and 105 MILES from my stepfather, (it was the vechicle that i had when i lived with them still, so its been through alot)w.

the noise started yesterday when i was driving down a gravel road to some town in 3rd going a bit fast for the gear (50mph). i had a tank of premium in it (first tank of that it has ever seen) and when we started to drive back up the main hill outta the town we were going through i felt a loss of power that got worse as i got towards th top of the hill. i haven;t drven the car as of yet (don;t want to make it worse) and have only run it for perhaps 30 minutes total since the noise began (20 mintues driving back to my dads from where the noise started)

i am just wondering if anyone oculd help m find out what kind of problem i am looking at now. if i need to replace the engine, how much work am i looking at (hours and what parts i will need... and cost if possibelt too)

i know its not a hotrod.. but this seemed liek a place to start for now.

thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
its a stretch, but it sounds like you may have pumped your sump dry and had most of your oil to the front of your pan... but wow, that would really be a design flaw... how big was this hill and how long were you going down it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wasn;t going down a hill... oils fine... we think that i blew a piston rod or something to that extent from stress on teh engine... but i won;t know until i take ti to a mechanic for sure...

·
Registered
159 Posts
when you say clicking noise ,, to me it doesnt sound like blown piston ,, cause you would see heeps of blue smoke , sounds like a bad batch of fuel,, fill her up with some decent stuff,,;

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am having it towed to the mechanic tonight i think (it doesn't have insurance anymore (somethign with importing it to canada had the insurance removed and stuff) hopefully they will fix it for me.. lol... and then i am going ot take some mechanical classes so i can fix it myself next time...

i hpe its somehing less expensive than an engine retooling though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.