Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my friends vette is having a problem. It's a 1988 and whenever he floors it, there seems to be a slight clicking coming from the engine bay. Not sure specifically where it's coming from but it sounds like the engine bay. When he releases the throttle, the clicking goes away. Any ideas?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
already checked exhaust as far as we could, but didn't see anything, but that doesnt mean there isnt one. Also, it only happens when the car is cold.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
wow... thats just really to vague to figure out at all. There are probably 100 different things that could click under that hood. How about you open the hood, stab the brakes and give it about 1/4 throttle (use some sense) and see if you can get it to reproduce the sound under load.

K

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
clicking noise

Did you check the exhaust out while it was running? IF you have a slight gap somewhere in your exhaust system, it could be closing itself up when the exhaust system gets heated up and expands. Thats about all I can come up with on an exhaust noise.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked it while it was off and cooled down, then checked it running, didnt have any luck.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
My guess would be detonation. To an untrained ear, it could certainly be described as ticking. If the knock sensor is not working properly, it may not be pulling timing back to prevent it. Just a guess without hearing it, though.

Chris

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking detonation, and it really seemed logical, but I've heard cars knocking before and this was more high pitched then all the other times.

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Try uping the octane.

Check for exhaust leaks everywhere. At the manifolds, the collectors (should be straight down from those manifolds), where the two pipes meet for the cat . .and so on and so on.

Have some one rev it in park and listen around the engine bay. Make sure its not something on the belt system. Remove the belt if nessesary to rule out something along that system.

Just have to eliminate things one by one. Anything moving or have air or a substance moving around it has the potential to make noise. It might be happening all the time but only at a higher rpm/speed do you notice it.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Post your repair/problem question on a Corvette bulletin board. Maybe someone else had the same vette/problem

Can be 100 things, but detonation is the worst for the motor, eliminate that possibility first .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts