Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Philippines Cowboy
888 Posts
Is that a 3 speed steering box or a 4 speed?

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm just giving you a hard time. I confess I did get a good laugh when I read it, though. Sorry.

Anyway, I don't know if the General has anything available, but you could always use an in-line box, available from the oval track suppliers, to change your overall steering ratio. They're available in 1.5:1 and 2:1 ratios. It's certainly not a "bolt-in," but it would give you what you want.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
The high-performance versions of the Camaros & Firebirds were likely to have faster steering boxes. I used one from a '75 Formula on my '72 Nova & it's almost too fast. Later model (3rd-gen) hi-po F-bodies can also be a source.

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
8,821 Posts
Steering quickener aren't a good idea on the street. A typical ratio at 14 to one would increase the ratio to 7:1. Just enough to make an inexperienced person lose control by over correcting the next when someone pulls out in front of you. Not to mention the mods needed to get a stock pump to push enough fluid pressure.

·
Philippines Cowboy
888 Posts
johnsongrass1 said:
Steering quickener aren't a good idea on the street.
Yes, you're probably right. I've only seen them on oval cars. The 1.5:1 quickener might work, though.

I discovered that advancing age makes it more difficult to handle quick steering. I took one lap in an open wheel car, when I was about 65, with steering that gave my teenage friend no problem. I could barely keep it on the track! I'd like to think I would have fared better as a teen, but maybe not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.