Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found that Speedway has a conversion kit ,but I'm cheap. Is there a place or a different vehicle that has a 6 spline yoke. I can fabricate the rest. Thanks

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
:D

Some 46 and 47 Ford pickups have everything you need. They came with open driveshafts and still had the old transmissions and rear ends......

Kind of difficult to find...at least around here.........

:(

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
open drive vs closed

The easiest way to do it is to just get a later model rear end and run a slider yoke in your transmission, have a driveshaft made for it. To run with the origional suspension, you will have to split the wishbone, put either ball joints or spherical rod ends on the two wshbone shafts, find the proper spots to hang them on the outside frame, and then run a panard bar. The alternative is to convert over to dual semi-ellipitical leaf springs.
The closed driveshaft acts as a torque arm for the rear end as well as to enclose the drive shaft.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Torque arm

Another option is to run the torque arms to a center pivot located at a point next to the front U-joint..you will need a panhard bar to locate the rear end..if you are using coil overs..

If you have the early ford cross spring style then doing it this way will be close to what you had before..

Look under a chev monza for some ideas on how those types of torque arms are made..

I ran a monza for a while and the rear suspension worked out just fine..

Take cAre

OMT

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think the ford pickups used the old style trans up to 52,my dad bought a 52 p/u motor with the trans still attached for his 51 2 door sedan and the trans looked like a 40 to 48 except it was made for a open drive shaft. I dont have the trans anymore or you could have it but if it was my car and wanted to keep the original motor I would adapt a newer trans and find a later rear and weld the buggy spring mounts to,a more modern trans will make cruising alot better as I am fighting a original trans and rearend in my 37 chevy p/u.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts