Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has set under a lean to for 20 some years,Now that I have bought it,it has set out side. It was a green puke color. I have painted it a black for the time being,the sun has cracked the weather strip around the window,that I will be replaceing soon. But the black paint has attracked the sun and has the window is showing some clouding around the edge. When I have the window out,is there anything that I can do or use to clear up the cloudy window edge? Thanks Roger

·
Registered
599 Posts
You didn't say which window, but I am assuming the windsheild. The cloudiness you seee is in the plastic layer between the glass layers. Sorry to say nothing can be done about it but replace the glass. Another thought that should be brought up is that this also what makes it safety glass. When the plastic starts to break down it also looses its grip on the glass so when the glass breaks it can throw off shards of glass.
If it is side or rear glass, these are tempered glass, chances are it will clean right off with a little bit of glass polish. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it is the windshield, it is about a half inch from the rubber,nothing major but won't look good. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xntrik said:
Lots of old cars had laminated side glass, didn't they?
I know one of my 49 trucks has the plasic between the side windows, it needs to be replaced because of bubbles in the plastic,and want to get rid of the green tint.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You didn't mention what vehicle you own and are talking about.
All cars and trucks are required to have a safety plate glass windshield and either safety plate or tempered glass in all other windows.
Safety plate is 2 sheets of glass bonded together with a plastic sheet which prevents the glass from shattering into big loose chunks when hit by oblects from outside or by your head from inside. Safety plate glass eventually deteriorates since each glass has a seam around it which allows air and any other elements of nature in to erode the plastic layer causing fogging, bubbling, browning or combinations of the three. Left alone this will progress until the glass is completely fogged or bubbled over. In the 30s Ford actually had a cut into the plastic around the glasses and tarred it to prevent this deterioration. Early plastic was very susceptible to sun and chemicals.
The only "cure" is to replace the offending glass with new.
Tempered glass shatters into hundreds or thousands of small fragments when broken. Tempered glass is seen primarily on late model(70s-up) cars and trucks which have curved side and back glasses. Tempered glass is pretty much impervious to weather and age.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts