Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wrenchers; I purchased a Cloyes hex adjust for my Ford FE390, the advantage was to have plus or minus 6 degrees of timing adjustment
without disassembly. Heh, I got infinite adjustment degrees of adjustment
as the adjuster failed; as in BROKE! Lucky the engine survived. My engine was on the dyno when it happened(the strong part survived cam break-in)
The adjuster was too hard to be drilled out so my builder and his
machinist redrilled a dowl hole 180 degrees from the original, bushed the adjuster hole and installed a new dowl.
With extra dyno time and machining, the bill was an extra $400.
I was told by a Cloyes tech that the problem was inhierant with Ford
cam nose design with only one bolt and the dowl to take the load. If
a part is manufactured with billet steel gears and roller chain than the
adjuster should be able to carry the load. I was told the problem sometimes
occurs with heavy valve springs. Likewise that they were changing the design....well da! Tech said what my builder did was a fix and gave me several others too....Hmmmm, a problem here? Sounds like, looks like, smells
like; must be!!
I was offered a new timing set if photos were provided....no warranty, no cash with performance parts. I was told that was the policy and I said than
my policy was to expose them on the internet. I was then given the extension of Tim Murphy, V.P. of sales. It has been a week and I called again today but he must hide behind the answering machine. Neither he nor a lackey has returned a call. So Screw them!!!
Since the episode, my builder showed me a chevy that broke the Cloyes
chain: a cousin told me of a chevy Cloyes chaun as loose as a 100.000
miler he sought to replace; a neighbor who bought a Cloyes AMC set
with the timing marks incorrect. So....step right up!!!
The companies produce products and want the consumer to accept all responsibility for their crap!
Sorry Cloyes, don't give me another spoonful...I'm full!!! Buyer Beware!
Tim

·
Registered
380 Posts
Keep calling the VP, day in day out... he'll answer one day...

Sorry to hear that though... if I read your post correctly, you're keeping the timing set that broke in there, at least until you get a new set if you send in pics?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I had the opposite experience with their product.
Small block Chevy with 40,000 miles I took the engine apart the timing chain was still tight like day I put it in. Its getting reused.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I took a Cloyes set out of a Chevy 350 truck with about 8,000 on the engine and it was junk.

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Sounds like the cam gear bolt wasn't properly torqued, seen it happen once before. Can't comment on the quality of the timing chain set since I have never had one fail on me.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
I switched to a Cloyes True Double Roller chain on my sbc crate motor, it was tighter than the new factory chain.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use Cloyes in almost everything and never had a problem.
I have had lots of valve train problems when i was useing Pete
Jackson gear drives caused by harmonic viberations.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tim Murphy from Cloyes just called me on a Saturday at 8:30, a little late
but he has assured me he will try to assist me. Tim

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
My feeling is that the Hex-A-Just is an over-engineered product that is prone to problems. I know of a couple installed in SBCs that have come loose. I prefer the mulit-keyway method of altering cam timing. Nothing to break or come loose.

rom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts