Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
clutch question - 66 chevelle

about a year and a half ago I built a 350 (pushing about 375hp) and put it in my 66 chevelle, with a saginaw 4 speed. I recently deceided to change to a muncie 4 speed (m-20), and I'm in the process right now of doing the switch. I figured that while I had the tranny out I'd replace the clutch so I bought a new centerforce ten and a half inch clutch. I just pulled the pressure plate and removed the old clutch and its an 11 inch clutch. So the question is should I (or could I) put in the 10 and a half; or should I return it and get an 11 incher? Any quick help will be appreciated.

p.s. I know I should have remembered the correct clutch size.

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
I would get the 11 inch if it was mine, The 10.5 will bolt up but you need to put the right disc on it . If you don't it will bug the daylights out of you, Go get the 11 inch.JMO.....Cole

·
Registered
176 Posts
The 10.5" clutch will reduce the area of the disc and pressure plate by about 8.9% which can be significant on a high HP car.

The motor should RPM quicker with a smaller diameter setup but, may not be especially noticeable on a heavier car. With a very small decrease in weight and rotating mass you'll have a wee bit less inertia starting from a stop. Again, probably not even noticeable.

Do you have any plans for a taller rear end gear? It would ease the pain on the clutch comming off a stop.

You'll need to calculate the costs of changing to an 11" disc and plate over the 10.5" setup and what's that's worth to you for 8.9% increase in peace of mind.

I'd go with the 10.5" setup and not beat the snot out of it at every stop light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.