Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell the spring rating? I would like to order some stiffer coil overs, but I'm not sure what my current ones are.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Most sprngs have a small metal tag attached to a coil near one end of the spring with the spring rate stamped onto it. You might try looking for such a tag at the top or bottom of the sping.

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Spring Rate ID

You didn't mention the brand but if you happen to have Aldans the springs are identified by a painted color band on the end of the spring. Naturally that means you have to disassemble the coil from the shock to see it. I don't recall the colors but I'm fairly certain that a green band is a 180LB spring. There's black, red and some others. Check Aldan's website.
If they're not Aldans...sorry, can't help ya.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Springs are rated in lbs/inch..soooo if one puts a known weight on the spring to compress it one inch you now know the rate..They do make spring rate checkers as well if you like..

Sam

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
7,734 Posts
Use a spring rate calulator I've posted on here before.

You need the wire diameter, the number of active coils, and the overall diameter of the spring center to center.

·
It'll go, or it'll blow...
152 Posts
To get the actual rate of a spring is easy if you have a hydraulic press and a bathroom scale.

Place scale on press. Place spring on scale. Zero scale. Compress the spring an inch and read the scale. This gives you the spring rate (lbs/ inch.)

Be careful centering and lining up the spring so it doesn't fly out!

Works good for most low rate ~<300 lb/inch springs

·
Philippines Cowboy
888 Posts
I searched for your calculator, johnsongrass1, but couldn't find it. Here's the relationship I use:

rate = Gd^4/[8n(D-d)^3]

where G = 1.16E7 , "n" is the number of active coils, "D" is the outside diameter, and "d" is the wire diameter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts