Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Lord of All Things Poker
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, first I admit to being a noob. I'm planning a 27 Track T roadster, and would like to use coil overs instead of a leaf spring on the 4" dropped tube axle. Is this as simple as replacing the existing tube shocks with the coil overs and removing the leaf spring then installing a panhard rod to locate the axle side to side? If not, what needs to be done?

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
PairsNPaint said:
I'm planning a 27 Track T roadster, and would like to use coil overs instead of a leaf spring on the 4" dropped tube axle. Is this as simple as replacing the existing tube shocks with the coil overs and removing the leaf spring then installing a panhard rod to locate the axle side to side?
See Thumbnails Below-

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The question here is whether the upper and lower mounts for the conventional tube shocks are strong enough to serve as support members for the entire front section of your car and be able to withstand road shock while in service. Also as most tube shocks are mounted in a slanted posture, some as much as 45 degrees or more, you must calculate the spring rate of the coilover set with that inclination in mind. Most vendors of coilovers have a chart indicating what needs to be there for various installation attitudes.

EXAMPLE: if you have the old 49-56 style Ford pickup upper shock mount arms and the inserts under the spring perch bolt for the lower mount of the shocks I would recommend making up something a little, actually a lot, more substantial to hold up your car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.