Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 71 Chevelle. While moving the car around my yard I heard a banging/grinding noise from front end. It turns out that the passenger side coil spring is rubbing against the hole in the frame. It's like the spring isn't centered. Is it possible the spring was installed upside down? If not what else could cause this? The bottom of the spring appears to be seated properly, but I can't see the top. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the frame either. Most of the front end parts look new, so I thought that maybe someone just put the spring back in wrong when reassembling everything. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Can't imagine what you are saying. Can you post a picture? Does the car have full weight (front clip, engine and tranny, etc.) on the front end? If not the springs are probably extended and they will do strange things in that condition. Not intended to operate that way so not to worry, will go back to proper shape when car is done. If that's not it, something is brorken or bent and needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me. I don't have a picture, but I'll try to explain it better. The spring is sitting in the lower control arm as it should. There is a hole in the frame that allows the spring to go through and sit against the top of the frame. The spring is so far to one side that it is rubbing against that frame hole. The car is completely assembled and other than the new front end parts appears to be a completely original 78k mile car. Hope this helps. Thanks

·
Old(s) Fart
6,014 Posts
The top end of the spring is not properly seated in the spring pocket. The upper spring pocket on the A-body cars has a cylinder that the spring is supposed to fit over to keep it centered. This installation is blind and I have had the spring slip off the cylinder and move to one side of the seat as you describe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.