Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a ext. coil on my 84 c-10 chevy HEI. I am also looking for a coil wire with the least resistance that is a universal fit. I have searched for the last few hours and come up empty. I know I am looking for a spiral core wire, but whats the best or close to best wire?

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Catfish11 said:
I am installing a ext. coil on my 84 c-10 chevy HEI. I am also looking for a coil wire with the least resistance that is a universal fit. I have searched for the last few hours and come up empty. I know I am looking for a spiral core wire, but whats the best or close to best wire?
Least resistance will deliver more energy, but if it's a solid core w/o RF suppression, the radio will need a choke and I've heard of interference w/other ignition components from using unsuppressed plug wires. Just an unsuppressed coil wire might not be a problem but the plug wires need to have a low resistance to make the most out of the system. Fortunately, a good set of spiral core wires will supply enough current and RF suppression for most any street/strip application.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Denny said:
Summit and Jeg's has sets. Or do you plan on just changing the coil wire itself ? If so, you need to know what the plug wires are, so things match, or you could burn through. Does the plug wires have any numbers or name on them ? You might want to consider a full matching set. :)

Also, what was said above...
Thanks guys. Maybe I am over thinking this, then again maybe not, I dont know. I am only changing the coil wire itself. I want a good wire but dont want to cause a imbalance in the wiring. Maybe for now I just need the "cheapy" wire?
I am using stock wires for my truck(autozone), I plan on upgrading in the future but these should last at least another year, since the are new. I am pulling the coil out of the dist. and need to wire the coil back into the dist. I am thinking I need a low resistance wire since I now have added distance between the coil and dist. , even though its only about 10" separation.
The truck has been rebuilt to stock spec., I am just trying to get ALL I can from my ignition system also, even though its in stock form also.
I was going to go with Taylor but am a little confused , they offer,
Coil Wire, Spiro-Pro, 8mm,
Coil Wire, Hi-Energy, Suppression Core, 8mm,
Coil Wire, Pro Series, Resistor Core, 8.0mm,
I have read mixed reviews on Taylor though.

I dont want to do a "stock" wire because I dont need the 1"-2" feet of extra wire .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.