Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious as to how everyone is adapting to the cooler temps we have been having, seems like it takes forever for things to dry even with heat,stay warm , mike.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
LOL!

Let me say not well going by the number of calls I have had this week.

All the same, primer slow to dry, clear did not cure out over night and best one was bed liner painted at 5 and left outside (27 at night) not kicked in morning.

Metal temp, metal temp and metal temp, corrects the problem.

With all the calls I get in a days time, if I had to lay money on why majority of these problems exist is one simple reason! Heat shut off at night.
It can take the metal 4 hours to get close to the 70 degrees you set the heat at when you opened up the shop this morning.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
Cooler????? You are in Georgia..................Try Canada.

I like winter........until Xmas..then, it sucks

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I don't have any painting to do, Good thing. I have been working on my brakes though, and don't even want to go out there. Spend a little while after work 2 nights in a row, and I had to drag myself out to the garage. I've painted before in the garage when outside temps were below zero, and its not real fun trying to get the overspray out, and then quick run the heater again trying to keep it warm inside. Can't win, in summer it was way too hot. Seems like those perfect painting days come far and few in between. We haven't hardly got any snow yet, but I am already ready for spring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah I know about cold, it only got up to 74 today, I had to find a long sleeve shirt. Sorry guys I couldn't help myself. You can rub it in next summer when it is 125 here.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I was out working on the car Tuesday in a Tshirt and shorts, 56ºF.
I was able to paint the inside of my Camaro doors, getting some seam protection.
Today it´s been very cold and raining, got the log fire well stoked.

·
Registered
637 Posts
bullheadbum said:
Yeah I know about cold, it only got up to 74 today"

74 DEGREES !!???? It's supposed to be 10 below here tonight. I'm looking forward to 20 above :D I'm just putting the finishing touches on my new paint shop, should be painting in it in a couple weeks. I have it insulated so well that I'll be able to heat my shop with a match :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I just hope I have enough firewood :sweat: Keeping the shop 65 degrees day and night uses a lot of wood when the temps are hovering just above and below zero. Why my roots ever ended up in this area I'll never know, sure wasn't for prosperity. Is there a region with an average temp of 70?-it would seem like paradise.

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
Yup.

We've just come through a BITTERLY cold week, breaking 110-year record low temperatures for this region / time of year.

It was right around -30°C with a wind chill driving temps to -40!
At -40, celsius and farenheit temperature scales converge ... so -40°C = -40°F ... dang cold no matter how you slice it.

We've had a little relief this week with weak Chinook winds blowing in. Temps have been "seasonal" (0°C = 32°F) since the weekend, and they are forecasting (+10°C = +50°F) for later this week as the Chinook strengthens.

Moral of this story:
This is Alberta ... if you don't like the weather ... just wait a minute!

·
Drive it like a rental!
166 Posts
cold weather

I just finished installing my LP furnace and insulating my attic on my double garage so I can do more work in the cold, long North Dakota weather - about -15 degrees tonight.

I plan on spraying some high build primer around Christmas time so what should I do about the temp when I plan on spraying? Should I get it above 75 or 80 degrees, shut off the furnace and spray and then cool off? I don't want the fumes to go booom!

Rick

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
bullheadbum said:
Yeah I know about cold, it only got up to 74 today, I had to find a long sleeve shirt. Sorry guys I couldn't help myself. You can rub it in next summer when it is 125 here.
Yeah, you guys SLAY me when we go south. :D

We went to Vegas for the AC-Delco drags at the end of October. The weather then was very similar to our July ... "cool" (60 °F) mornings and "very warm" (77 to 82) afternoons.

"Blazing hot" to us is anything over 86°F (+30°C)

We were in t-shirts / shorts all day, while the "locals" were dressed in layers ... t-shirt, long-sleeves, hoodie.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had -1F this morning here in WI. I hope it warms up a little bit. My chevelle is going to be media blasted Friday and I will need to epoxy it next week after it is done. My shop is heated with a combination propane furnace and a outside wood boiler stove. I will probably have to use both to heat the shop enough for the epoxy.

·
The Penny Pincher
1,942 Posts
I feel your pain, I need to get some epoxy on mine this weekend.
Not quite as cold here but still below freezing.

·
Registered
351 Posts
jcclark said:
I feel your pain, I need to get some epoxy on mine this weekend.
Not quite as cold here but still below freezing.
Supposed to get down to around 12 or 13 degrees tonight.

·
The Penny Pincher
1,942 Posts
Hey Kampr, you're my neighbor!!!!
You may be closer to Bondoking than me, Hmmmmm,
I'll send him to you next time he needs something :thumbup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Temps are starting to drop here in Georgia.. Getting down to the teens
tonight !

Urethane dont like the cold, time to break out the gas heater..

><

·
Registered
351 Posts
jcclark said:
Hey Kampr, you're my neighbor!!!!
You may be closer to Bondoking than me, Hmmmmm,
I'll send him to you next time he needs something :thumbup:
If it's painting supplies he wants then he might be out of luck. Mine aren't the best. I don't even have an electric blanket. :(

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Interesting weather here in the NORMALLY frozen tundra of the Great Northeast. We've only had 4-5 overnights below freezing. I actually cut the lawn this past Sunday, 12/3. We've had one very minor dusting of snow on Wednesday, but I was too sick with a tummy bug to 'enjoy' it!! I still have my car to paint and will need to at least internally enclose my garage stall for heat and to comfortably work and to keep the steel body parts warm enough so I don't have to whimper at Barry that my paint wont kick. I really do feel for those that usually have expected to have decent temps for a while - the weather here in the US (and, I guess, Canada) has been unusual. We've been very warm, while the South has been cool to cold.

EUREKA !! I KNOW THE ANSWER - GLOBAL WARMING - LET'S NOT USE ANY MORE FOSSIL FUELS FOR POWER PLANTS, HOME HEATING AND VEHICLES. :pain: :rolleyes: :pain:
(but this is for another forum)

Dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts