Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I welding in a rollpan and a frenched in license plate box on my 96 S-10 tailgate and have it all smooth and ready for primer and paint. My question is, the truck still has the original paint on it so all I am doing is touching up the new sheet metal. Would I use base coat clear coat or something else? I know there are alot of different mixed paints so if someone could help me that would be great.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Use the same thing the factory used. Go to your local paint shop and get them to mix you a half pint of BC/CC. Repaint/clear the entire rollpan.

HK

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HK, when I shoot the base coat do I sand that or just shoot the clear over it? The paint is Cherry Red Metallic.

Thanks again

Tyler

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
No need to sand the base coat unless you have a flaw like runs or orange peel.

Just strip your roll pan, I'm sure you did that before any welding anyway. Primme is, wetsand the primer with 400grit. Suff the primer with some scotch brite, lay on your base coat, let it flash (8-10min) then apply your clear. If your not painted in a downdraft booth with heat make sure its clean, wet the floor around the rear of the truck, squee-G it to make sure there are no puddles then paint. After its painted if your not using a heated booth wait at least an hour before you decide to take it out for a drive. You can wetsand and buff the next day, but don't use any waxes or cleaners (soap) of anykind on it for a month.

HK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts