Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tex
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Rodders,
Like many others I am moving my column shifter to a floor shifter. I know my current location of my GM NSS/Backup switch and what it looks like.
The issue is when you look to the after market for both switches the items say: Can be used as a NSS and/or Backup switch. It never tells you what to do with both. I do not want to move my collar on my column every time I go in reverse, nor am I willing to sacrifice the safety of people by not having a NSS.
My question: What are the GM column rodders doing with the NSS AND BU switches when moving to a floor shifter? 52 Chevy Truck, GM column, 700r4, brake booster under the floor ( that is why I am moving to a floor shift). Wanting to crank it for Christmas. image.jpg

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
switchs

i agree the NSS is more important then the back up sw.. i don't recall any floor shifter having both but that doesn't mean they are not made.. building my bucket i only needed the Nss.. have u looked into a factory one that does bolt onto your tranny.. my C4 has both in one mounted on side of tranny.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
In most instances it is very easy to hook two switches up, the shifter should have the detent provisions for both positions or you might have to fab a bracket.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
It's available for most higher quality floor shifters. I know B&M sells shifters and both switches as option. Wiring is simply removing the wires from existing switches, and extending the wires to the new switches. The floor shifter will have brackets on them to mount the switches, or come with a switch kit that has the bracket.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Looking at their web site they offer a micro and a ball switch, BU switches. As you did not say which shifter you have, it's hard to say which one it uses etc.....

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
American Shifter is a high quality, and regardless of which one you choose, they take the same miniature micro switch. The switches have a common terminal, and one set of NC, and NO contacts. They sell them for $18, but you can buy the same micro switch at most local electrical distributors for about half the price. They're generic, so any of the miniatures will work and fit the same diagonal mounting holes.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
While I agree 18 bucks for a micro switch is a rip off, all micro switches are not the same, they have many different mounting hole patterns and electrical terminal choices..... NO/NC, NO/NO, NC/NC. If you decide to go the off-brand route, just make sure the physical size and the mounting hole pattern are the same.

·
Tex
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Santa came

I received an American Shifter for Christmas, and yes it already has a NSS installed. So, now to Micro switches: what are you guys using and where do I pick one up? Will it also have to mount to the shifter? I have built the whole truck, and it seems this is simple and it has dumbfounded me.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
While I agree 18 bucks for a micro switch is a rip off, all micro switches are not the same, they have many different mounting hole patterns and electrical terminal choices..... NO/NC, NO/NO, NC/NC. If you decide to go the off-brand route, just make sure the physical size and the mounting hole pattern are the same.
You can indeed buy micro switches in all sorts of contact arrangements, and even stacked switches to gain multiples. But you're somewhat wrong about micro switches not having the same bolt patterns. After dealing with them for nearly 40 years as an electrician, I've not come across different patterns on similar sized quality micro switches. If you buy off brands you're going to get almost anything, but the name brand switches all fit into the NEMA standards for the few size groups that are spec.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Not wrong at all, I build training devices on a daily basis, we currently use 4 different micro switches of approximately the same size, one has a common diagonal bolt pattern, one has a bolt pattern with holes about 1/2 up each side, one has 4 bolt holes, one in each corner and one has no holes at all. Now what you consider "off brand" may or may not be what we are using........ I do know we buy them by the hundreds and from a major electronic parts supplier and I don't think they consider them "off brand".

I stand by my advice, if the OP considers purchasing a switch from other than American Shifter, he should make sure the holes will line up etc.....

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I have never used the American Shifter ........ but some where on the linkage/mount/arm there should be a detent/hole/notch that would activate/deactivate a micro switch when in reverse, when not in reverse the switch would be activated/deactivated etc...... depending on how it was wired.

I usually have the roller/ball/arm drop into a notch/hole (when in rev) and the micro switch moves to the normally closed position powering up a backup light relay.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Not wrong at all, I build training devices on a daily basis, we currently use 4 different micro switches of approximately the same size, one has a common diagonal bolt pattern, one has a bolt pattern with holes about 1/2 up each side, one has 4 bolt holes, one in each corner and one has no holes at all. Now what you consider "off brand" may or may not be what we are using........ I do know we buy them by the hundreds and from a major electronic parts supplier and I don't think they consider them "off brand".

I stand by my advice, if the OP considers purchasing a switch from other than American Shifter, he should make sure the holes will line up etc.....
What I was referring to is the standard sizes laid out by the National Electrical Manufacturers Assn. Those manufactured here in the USA, or overseas to US standards, are kept to basic sizes and bolt patterns. Most of what I dealt with were Allen Bradley, Honeywell, Micro Switch brand, and all were interchangeable in both size and bolt spacing. Occasionally I'd come across import overseas equipment, and find the bolt spacing or shapes were contrary to what I could buy at any large local distributor. That usually meant having to buy cheap microswitches, or direct from the manufacturer of the equipment.
I'd guess your supplier doesn't consider their switches as off brand either, but a few hundred don't necessarily make something main stream. The Chinese send hundreds of thousands of their products over here every month, and they're often not to NEMA specs.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I'm kinda done with this. I believe my advice is sound regardless of where the switch was made, especially since the American Shifter switch brand is unclear at this point.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I believe your advice was good also. I was originally trying to offer the OP an alternative to save some money by purchasing the same micro switch locally at probably half price or less. I still wouldn't agree to paying $18 for a micro switch I know I could get for $7-$8 at a local supply house.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts