Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to build a street/strip 400sbc been looking at allot of forums and asking questions just trying to reach out and get a few pointers/routes to go wanna be at least 11.1 compression.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
You can set it up for 11:1 cr with pump gas but the cam would need to be on the edge of being streetable (big cam). And big cams require lots of stall and gear. What are you gear and stall converter plans?

If you plan to use pump gas and drive it on the street I would limit cr to 10.5:1. There isn't much gain in power going that extra 0.5 cr but it does cause lots of tuning issues.

Read this 406 combo. makes almost 500hp with 87 octane.

Chevrolet 406 CI Engine Build - Chevy High Performance

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Fwiw 500hp is about the reliable limit of a stock 400 block, even at that id do a partial block fill and be sure to use light components, a long rod, and a perfect balance job- assuming your wanting some longevity.

·
Registered
15,650 Posts
I'm trying to build a street/strip 400sbc been looking at allot of forums and asking questions just trying to reach out and get a few pointers/routes to go wanna be at least 11.1 compression.
Why so much compression? In and of itself 11 to 1 is easy to get, but what is the goal of the engine and what is the rest of the configuration you're thinking about?

Bogie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my plans are a street/strip type combination Im gonna bore it over to a 406 and its going into a monte carlo ss i think i wanna change the 3;73 gears some say i might need a stronger rear this is my first engine build

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
JT,what kind of car? what transmission is in the car?Are you going to race it as a bracket car? what bracket? Is your budget small? How much time do you have to build the motor?Are you doing all the work yourself?
please answer the questions so you can get started,,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its Gonna Be A Street/Strip 1987 Chevy Monte Carlo Ss Mostly Going To Be Driven As A Weekend Hotrod That Packs Power If I Have To Mixed Gas Thats Fine My Budget Is 6-7k

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.