Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did search and found nothing unfortunately.

So,
I'm looking at picking up a set of rods, I found these 6" connecting
Rods competition cams street magnum rods 4130. I'm probably jus to young to know but did comp cams make/sell connecting rods at one point and were they any good? This set is H beam with the part number 5760-8.

Attachments

·
WV hillbilly
781 Posts
Comp Cams has always been associated with Quality, and although I have never ever seen those rods I wouldnt be afraid to use them... I would however use ARP Rod bolts just to be sure

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Comp sold rods for a year or two.
I only know of one set in actual use. SBC built for oval track use made 8 laps(engine was brand new, no dyno time, first time put under load) at Nashville before rod broke. The other seven were scrapped.
I wouldnt use em if they were free. Same as Comp valves.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Comp "reboxed" engine parts for a while. Those rods are Scat/C.A.T./Elgin/brand-X. The valves however, are Manley and VERY good. A TAD overpriced...

For a "premium" rod with a less unreasonbable price, Eagle is the import "of choice". ALL of these rods use the "same" forging. Where Eagle differs is in the final machine work. There's an "extra" rib down the inside of the beam, not present on other h-beam rods. Even though it's small, it's NOT insignificant. Two small radii are stronger than one large one. That rib creates a pair of radii. And please, unless you have engineering data to dispute this, leave it alone. We ALL have seen a failure here and there. Oner "bad one" doesn't make ALL of them "bad".

RPM offers a 5140 I-beam for reasonable money (about $200 a set), and Eagle makes an I-beam in 6". Crower "Sportsman" is probably the least expensive and better "domestic" rod. CroweRods are THE BEST, but BIG $$.

I highly recommend you don't "shop" too much. Buy good rods, even if they cost a little more than "cheap" rods. This is a "hobby" and we're not "in" hobbies to "save money". The first time a cheap one breaks, any and ALL savings are gone, plus some...

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.