Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Do you mean a different frame ... other than a factory replacement type ??

As a general rule, the best frame for a vehicle is the frame designed for it by the original manufacturer. Factors also to be considered are

1 ) width of frame
2 ) length of frame
3 ) engine placement
4 ) wheelbase
5 ) tread width

And very important ... body mounting points. The floor shape is WAY
different in most later models than your pre WWII vehicle :D

Deuce ... Moderator

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I have to ask, Why??

The 40-48 Chevy frames are an extremely strong top hat design and can handle a lot of power with little or no modification. So, unless your frame has been hacked up by the previous owner or destroyed due to an accident there really is no reason to replace it.

If it has been hacked up or is unrepairable for some reason the best replacement is another 40 frame. The 41-48 will not work well because the 40 was a slightly smaller car. Although the frames were the same basic design they won't interchange.

So..... the question is, why do you need a new frame, and what are you trying to do with the car? A little more explanation will help us steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
frame swap

I am tryin to find a newer model complete frame to set my 41 body on,someone on ebay had a 41 coupe and they used a 78 buick regal frame that was being sold by a dealer i know i will have to do some modifing ,just want to try something diffrent.

·
machinist & fabricator
680 Posts
as it is today, im putting a 78 gutless frame under a 1940 chevy coupe
the gutless frame is 5" shorter in wheel base, the dimentions between the frame width at most foward mount of the rear suspention , and the furthest back mount of the front suspention is real close.
im going to cut the old side rails out of the frame and replace with 2 x 4 box tubing along with streaching it to acheive the correct wheel base.

downfalls...
alot of time to fab the frame,
you gotta take the car apart.
you gotta modify the shat out of it.
im using a metric frame.

however i now have a modern chassis and replacing parts will be easy.

if you dont want to take the car apart, and you absoutely hate the shock absorbers/upper control arm mounts.... a crossmember from a 54 chevy will bolt right in. with minor steering mods, it will feel like a bran new car.
you can also strip the old iffy rear leaf springs and weld in some camaro springs. or you can get crazy and 4link, or 2 link it.

i will be finishing the frame in the next few days, ill post some pics for you.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
40-41 chevycoupe said:
..................i know i will have to do some modifing ,just want to try something diffrent.
That's an understatement. Good luck with it though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chevy frame

M y 41 frame is in great shape i just dont feel secure welding a front clip on nor do i have the funds to pay someone or buy an aftermarket front clip i like to do the work myself because i have been shafted so many times i probobaly could weld a front clip on i just havent tried, now would be a good time because the frame is in the back yard and the body is in my garage, i know of a 74-78 camero frame would that clip work and where could i get detailed instructions on how to weild on a front clip. or is there a front clip that i could unbolt from another car and bolt to my front clip ? :sweat:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Welding a Mustang II IFS kit on is a piece of cake. There are companies out there who also make bolt on Mustang II kits that require no welding at all. Check out Heidts, Fatman Fabrications and TCI. These three are probably the leading manufacturers. Below is my 41 with a Heidts unit welded in place and all the rest of the Mustang II stuff bolted on. With some judicial shopping at swap meets one of these setups can be pretty inexpensive.

Below is my buddy's 40 sedan frame with a Heidts super ride Mustang II IFS kit installed. Its pretty obvious this will be a pro street car and currently sports a tweaked 454.

If you just can't see putting a Ford IFS in your Chevy then an early Camaro or Nova front clip will be the best fit. The 40 is slightly smaller than the 41-48 which means it also has a slightly narrower track so the later model Camaro front clips will be too wide and your tires will stick out beyond the fenders. This is a clear sign that a car has not been thoroughly thought out and constructed properly.

Either one of these suggestions will be tons less work than an entire frame swap. It will be hard enough hanging the front sheet metal back on using a Camaro or Nova clip but trying to do that with a complete frame swap will be twice as tough. With the Mustang II IFS you don't change the frame so all the sheet metal just bolts back on with minimal modification.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Just my opinion, but by the time you did all the floor work to make another frame fit....you will wish you had gone for that little bit more expense of an M11 kit.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Take a look at this web site for doner rear end measurements. HERE

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.