Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i posted a thread a couple days ago about my engine and the rings and the compression readings. well i got 130 in all 8 cylinders but that was while the motor was cold. i didnt have the throttle chocked back neither. will you get better readings if the engine is warm? and the throttle open all the way?

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Posted by F-BIRD'88:
"Spin the motor over a good 4 5 revolutions during each cylinders test."

Good point. Each time the piston comes up, you will see the needle on your gauge move up some. Keep cranking the motor until the needle will move no higher.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey guys thanks for the replys. i also wanted to note that in my other post it was smoking out of drivers side and hardly out of passenger side. well i got to looking at it today and i noticed that my valve cover was leaking terribly bad and it was spilling right into the header tube by the number 7 plug. so i need to change header gaskets as well. also as i posted about my heads they are 194's 76cc chambers. my cam is a elgin prostock [email protected] 480 gross lift and i had a few replys about my cam being to much for my motor-how is that??? i dont know too much. the motor has a cola crankshaft manley rods wiseco pistons. my tranny is a hughes turbo 350 with a 3500 hughes converter. 373 rearend-richmond gears. aluminum driveshaft.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
to learn a bunch! about motors.....click on the Knowledge Base link at the top of the main page

(hmmmm, wonder if Jon can rig that link so it "flashes"!!!)

this link is from the knowledge base to help explain: "to much cam".....happens to be a Pontiac but the cam "guidelines" show what normally is required for a good build....note the C/R's listed at the bottem of the columns

http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/psp/camselect.html

which???? Wiseco pistons...there are pages and pages of 350 pistons on their web site.....first one listed with 76cc heads is only 8/1CR (roughly 150psi comp test with a correct cam)...not suited for a 230/230 cam at all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.