Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
It will have some difference in cranking compression, but not the compression ratio which is a mathematical calculation. In most cases, it would effectively raise compression as initial wear took place because of less duration. If extreme wear has occurred the compression would drop because the cam events would be so short that the cylinder wouldn't take in enough to create any cranking compression. That said, most cases it is worn ring or valves that cause lower cranking compression over time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
compression and camshaft

if your cam lobe or lobes get flattened, the cam cannot open the valves. so i would think that if your intake valve lobe were flat you would not be opening it enough to develope normal compression. if the exhaust valve wasnt opening due to a flat lobe you might get blow back through the carb.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not had a cam go flat, i was just wondering if having 13:1 compression for example would cause a cam to be more likely to go flat due to more force against the valves.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
the valves have to be closed and at rest against the cylinder head before the compression can begin.......there is no load on the cam, it is on the base circle
diesel truck motors run 20/1 and higher CR, 500k miles, on one camshaft

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.