Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

After reading all of the posts on what compressor to get I think I have finally made my decision. Below is the link. I will be using it to paint one or two cars a year and general shop air tools. I want to get the right compressor first and not secon guess and get the wrong thing. I know I want a belt driven unit with high CFM and I think this will work. i just don't want it to stop during my painting. What do you think? If not what do you recommend under $500.00 or $600.00 or less.

Thanks Dave

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34887

·
Registered
599 Posts
that's got a pretty good cfm rating. you could run a lot of tools with that and i think it'd be lots for painting. i only have a 20gal compressor which i've done a bit of painting with and i get by.

JB

·
Registered
11 Posts
daveh

I am too shopping for a compressor. how has your puma held up? I debating between a IR that has an 80 gallon tank($750) and the one you purchased. My biggest concern is how well the compressor runs a DA. Have you had any problems with your puma doing that on a continuous basis?

thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
D/As can use as high as 18 to 20 cfm when they are loaded heavy. If you want to run a D/A a lot, the bigger unit would be worth it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
daveh,

I don't know where you live but we have a store which is a chain called Tractor Supply Company. I got a 5 hp, 18 cfm with a 60 gallon tank on sale for $399. It works great for spraying, air tools and what ever you have for a one man shop except it will not keep up with my sand blaster.

Shop around you can find some good deals.

Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Almega

I do have a tractor supply store here in Atlanta. You say the 60 gallon IR you have will run your air tools just fine. Would you say that it runs your DA's without a problem? I won't need anything to run a sandblaster but I will use DA's quite often. I was looknig at getting either the IR 60 Gal. Air Compressor, 11.3 CFM @ 90 P.S.I. 230 Volt Single-Stage 135 Max. P.S.I. IF it can run a DA without a problem. This model is more in my price range and what I prefer to get.

HOWEVER, if this model won't run the DA's very well, in your opinion, then I will hold off and save an extra 200 hogs for the IR that has an 80 gallon tank and puts out 18.1 CFM @ 90 P.S.I. 230 Volt Single-Stage 135 Max. P.S.I. model number TSC # 3482560

The real question is does an extra 7 cfm really add that much duration to running a DA that justifies an extra 200 bucks????? I know the tank is a little bigger on the larger IR and that would help too in running the DA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Ranger- That extra 7 CFM will make a world of difference as that 11.3 CFM just is not enough to run a DA for any length of time since the DA needs at least 15 CFM. A bigger tank makes little or no difference in how well a compressor will keep up with a tool such a DA. How can it? Simple laws of physics apply here, That is you can get no more air out of a tank than the pump puts in. If the CFM is not there then the compressor will not keep up no matter what size the tank. A larger tank may run an air hungry tool for a couple minutes longer at initial start up but if the pump can't keep up then that extra capacity is used up in short order and then the larger tank requires a longer time for the pump to recharge it so you gain nothing. My point is the main purpose of the tank is to control the on off cycle rate of the compressor, it does NOT make up for a small pump that is not it's purpose. The problem here is when someone passes up a high CFM output that they need for a more impressive LOOKING huge tank that will do them no good. That larger Ingersoll is an excellent choice since it has the pump capicity to do the job and it even has the big tank that you seem to want.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ranger,

The compressor I got from TSC is made by Campbell-Hausfeld for farm duty and it has a 60 gallon vertical tank. It is a single stage, 2 cylinder pump, 5 hp. It puts out a little over 18 cfm @ 90 psi and runs on 220 volt single phase current.

Oldred is right about the tank size being irrelevant if the pump is not large enough. Rotary compressors often don't even have a tank because of their large volume capacity.

Good luck.

Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts