Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Newskool
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this is a fairly basic question but I have never done this before and want to do it right. I just finished putting the transmission back into my 74 nova and all thats left to do is connect the shift linkage up, install a trans cooler and connect the flywheel.

The only problem is the flywheel seems to be far away from the convertor. Its about 1/4 of an inch away. How should I narrow this gap? I heard someone say something about using washers when reinstalling a transmission with an aftermarket converter and I'm guessing this is where?

Also, the person I bought my car off of only put two of the three converter bolts in last time the engine was put in. Is there any specific bolt that I should look for?

Any tips for connecting the thing up? The housing is already bolted to the engine. I made sure not to "force" the transmission up to the engine as I read on the forums here that you can wreck the pump in the tranny doing that.

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
topdogger said:
Any tips for connecting the thing up? The housing is already bolted to the engine. I made sure not to "force" the transmission up to the engine as I read on the forums here that you can wreck the pump in the tranny doing that.
If you dont have that gap that you are talking about.......that is when you will wreck the pump. It shows that your converter is not in all the way. Sounds like everything is good in yours....Bolt 'er up and away you go.

·
Newskool
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the great news! I will probably end up putting a washer in there since that should put the pump about halfway all the way in and half way out.

Now I have to find a transmission cooler. I have a 2200 stall converter going in so I figure a cheap $60 cooler that sits infront of my rad will work.

Has anyone ever written a how to kinda thing on this topic for the site? I'm thinking if anyone hasn't written a pulling transmissions out for first timers by first timers I may put one together. There were a few things I didn't think I would encounter before I started the project. I was following a GM service manual and there were a few things it missed or "MAKE SURE YOU THIS"'s. Like taking the oilpan all the way off of the transmission before you pull the transmission out. I made the mistake of just loosening off the bolts and getting most of the oil out.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts

A Chevrolet flexplate ... has a correct way and a incorrect way to be installed. The above photo shows the raised area where the bolts for the converter are. The raised area goes towards the transmission. Then NO SPACERS or NO WASHERS are needed ...

Special bolts are needed for the flexplate to crankshaft bolts. They are 7/16 - 20 RH and are .680 long. Summit sells NEW ones from ARP for around 12 dollars.

Summit also has new ARP converter bolts ... about the same $$$ ... :D

·
Newskool
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya thats how it went in. Before I pulled the transmission under the car I slid it in and then remembered a bunch of people here said I had to keep movign it and I would know when it went in. I slid it from side to side trying to get the two notches on the end of the converter ligned up and all of a sudden it slipped in. From there if felt tight and wouldn't go side to side like it was locked in good.

I'm pretty sure its in there good. If I can find some digital cammera batteries I take some pictures.

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
If you can spin the converter with the tranny housing bolted up, it is fine. Slide the converter forward that 1/4 in and bolt the converter to the ring gear. I wouldn't put washers in between.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.