Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy wants to trade trucks. He has an 81 chevy diesel Silverado long bed, mines a 81 Custom deluxe short bed. I'm gonna put my 305 and 700R4 in it if possible.. Does anyone know what kind of mess this could become? Wiring and fuel are different, are these problems easy to get around? Anything else i'm forgetting?:confused:

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have the same year truck that was converted from diesel to gas.
You need to find a 12 volt switched wire for the ignition, also there are heaters in the fuel tanks that need to be disabled.
I changed the master cylinder over to vacuum assist instead of power. Fuel lines might come up wrong side of frame but Im not sure.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Always liked the long bed, it seem's more useable. I didn't know about the heaters in the tank, they would be a switched power source wouldn't they? Maybe I could tap into them? Nothing more to worry about though huh?

·
Registered
41 Posts
A bunch of questions:
Is the diesel running OK? GM had some of those diesels that were absolutely fantastic, but there was a different one that was junk. I had an 87 that was absolutely fantastic. It had over 300,000 miles on it, and if I plugged it in over night when it was cold (below 0) it would fire up just like it was 80 degrees. You don't want to park an old one inside an attached garage because they smell like diesels. It was a 1 ton dually, and I mounted a suburban body on the chassis. It would get over 18 MPG on the highway pulling a car trailer. And it WOULD PULL THE CAR TRAILER!! I loaned it to a friend of my son who needed to move. They parked it on the street, and it got torched. The radio didn't work, but that didn't matter much because there is a difference between the sound insulation in a diesel body and a gas engine body--the noise made a radio useless.
My experience with 305 engines, 700R4 transmissions and Chevy Trucks is real bad. OK, my truck was old, but so was my Diesel. 305's are OK for Chevelles and Nova's, but for a truck, you need a 350.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.