Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2nd gen camaro - put in landrum springs and there is a 20mm difference between the oem 5 pack and the mono-

not entirely sure what the difference is between lowering blocks and the spacers?

I need to take up thr 3/4 difference basically..

Are the buttons needed to locate the axle on the leafs or do they stack on top? I could turn a button on the lathe for the open hole lowering blocks-

·
Registered
370 Posts
They locate. When I added blocks to raise my 5th wheel, I removed the pins and installed grade 8 bolts that were longer than the original alignment pins. Pretty common in the RV trailer world. II plan to inspect them every couple years.

Keith

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup i had to screw in a 5/16 nut and bolt (original was 3/8) - so had to turn a piece of 1/2" galv steel pipe (thicker wall) and fit perfect.. just need to take up the gap.

it seems like the lowering blocks are the same as the monoleaf blocks? They just go under the axels instead of ontop correct?

Basically i want to know if lowering blocks can be used -

·
More for Less Racer
20,931 Posts
Yeah, the monoleaf conversion basically takes up the position of the top and second leaf in a multi-leaf stack, and they use a spacer to make up for the missing 3rd, 4th, and 5th/override leafs (if equipped).
Spacer put under the spring so then it maintains the same ride height as original.

if you want to lower it, then the spacer or a drop block can be used between the perch and the top leaf.....you just have to maintain some sort of locator pin/hole/bushing arrangement to keep all the pieces aligned with the original locator pin/nub on the mono leaf and it will be fine.

I seem to remember Cal Trac recommended no more than a 1" drop block be used as a thicker block puts too much strain on the perch and bolts(???)
You'll want to look into that, it might have been 2" max, or it may be individual application specific, i can't fully remember.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks eric- not too keen on lowering, looks like some lowering blocks come with the center buttons and some dont but the design has the provisioned hole, i could always turn 2 buttons.. cool - i measure 3/4" difference so will grab a pair-

thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts