Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Learning from your mistakes
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many amps does the converter lockup use when its engaged? I'm wiring it in today and I don't want to run a seperate circuit so I'm trying to decide which other circuit I can piggyback it to. But I have no clue how much power it would draw while running. can somebody help me out with this, or offer some suggestions as to which circuit you have your converter lockup get power from.
Thanks
-Guba

·
Registered
7 Posts
The converter solenoid draws about .5 amps, should not be more than 1.0. I still use relays for them, for safety. Make sure that the TCC unlock when brakes are applied, as well.

The PCM grounds the TCC solenoid, and the ignition power to it, is run through a brake switch interrupt, opening the power side, when brakes are applied. Make sure it is switched on the ground side.

In the way oem controls them, a delta tps change vs vehicle speed is used, with temperature, and manifold pressure qualifiers.

With a hobbs switch, you will find that the lockup functions goes in and out, which is annoying, and harmful. For the TCC to work smoothly, you need 2-3 qualifiers for it to work.

jim

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,141 Posts
can i manually (okay electrically) over ride the computer or logic module and run a toggle switch to the solenoid to make it shift gears in my pos 87 reliant. if not to drive it but just to check it and see if it works?

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
yes

you could run power directly to the solenoid hook up. but if you forget to disengage it before you come to a stop the motor will konk out. they usually kick in and out around 40 mph automatically.

if you have to slam on the brakes they disengage as soon as you hit the brake pedal. you will be over riding this feature. which may end up being a safety concern. thats why they put a brake switch on them.

i have heard of people using them on high perf cars and not liking them. so they put an over ride switch on so they don't come on at all. but i never heard of anyone trying to keep them locked in with a switch.

·
Tired old shiftworker
82 Posts
I had an 83 Camaro that I converted from the worlds worst fuel injection (crossfire) to carb. In the process I had to run the lock up in a full manual mode as the ecm would not work. I just hooked it to the ground side of the 700r4 lock up wire and had a little micro toggle on the shifter. What was sweet is I could engage it at any time I wanted to. I liked how it had the feel of a stick shift when engaged and I could do it at any speed. It was really fun in the snow at low speed as there was no slippage and it was real easy to get sideways.The sad part is I had to sell that car to help pay for the siding I put on my house. I still miss that pile of poo.:( Why, why,why. Oh thats right, that ring on the left hand holds a whole lot of power.:evil:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.