Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
Joined
·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dan, I have the GM assembly manual, I have a video, I have watched numerous videos on youtube (never did I dream something like the net and Youtube would exist when I bought that tape 15 years ago) but nothing is much said about the well. I have looked at cars at the Goodguys and saw a few different ways. One looks like he even forgot to put the well in until after the top was done and he put it over the top of everything with snaps on the tack strip.

Anyway, I have seen them up from under the strip tacked to the tack strip, then the top coming down from the top over the well and tacked to the strip. This makes the most sense as far as ease of installation.

Then I have seen the well come over the top of the tack strip just like the top so you can't see it from the interior when the top is up. With it going from under the back side with the top down you could see it which sounds pretty hoky to me.

But damn would it be a heck of a lot easier to do this whole job with the well coming up from the bottom. To bolt it in with the well going over the top is going to be a pain.

Something just hit me though, the bolts are VERY long that hold that thing in. Is it expected to leave the bolts barely in so the tack strip is away from the body a couple of inches and you staple it like that? I can't imagine the stapler would fit in there but there are a lot of things I can't imagine about this project that I am learning.

Brian
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,735 Posts
Hi Brian: The well goes in after the top is all in place. You attach it to the tacking rails. How you do that it up to you. You can staple it on and put some trim over the staples, Velcro it on, screw it on, or button it on. The simplest way for me is to screw screw studs to the tacking rail and then attach snap fasteners the color of the well fabric to the well fabric and simply snap it in place like a boat cover.
 

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
Joined
·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DanTwoLakes said:
Hi Brian: The well goes in after the top is all in place. You attach it to the tacking rails. How you do that it up to you. You can staple it on and put some trim over the staples, Velcro it on, screw it on, or button it on. The simplest way for me is to screw screw studs to the tacking rail and then attach snap fasteners the color of the well fabric to the well fabric and simply snap it in place like a boat cover.
Ahh, makes sense, thanks.

I did see one that I mentioned with the snaps. But originally (which I could really care less about originality) it was stapled to the back side first wasn't it? Or am I seeing things?

Brian
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,735 Posts
I'm sure that's possible, especially with OEM stuff being cut exactly to size. It's just way easier to attach it from the front side, however you want to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
top

I've done dozens of tops over the years. The factory way is to staple the well cover over the tack strip and then tack on top to tack strip. Then you have to hold well cover up and put in bolts. Its a pain in the ---. Sometimes you have to do this many times to get top to fit right. You have to pull the tacking strip out the back of car to staple to it. To me this is the hardest part of the job. You also have to make sure your rear bow is the right height. They have a chart for that. Lately I've been glueing the top to the well where the tack strip goes and making all adjustments and tacking it to rear bow. then I pop rivet it with a strip of metal, then you can staple well cover over top of tack strip and install it. Also works well if your tack strip is shot. Now you are probably really confused.
 

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
Joined
·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
****** said:
I've done dozens of tops over the years. The factory way is to staple the well cover over the tack strip and then tack on top to tack strip. Then you have to hold well cover up and put in bolts. Its a pain in the ---. Sometimes you have to do this many times to get top to fit right. You have to pull the tacking strip out the back of car to staple to it. To me this is the hardest part of the job. You also have to make sure your rear bow is the right height. They have a chart for that. Lately I've been glueing the top to the well where the tack strip goes and making all adjustments and tacking it to rear bow. then I pop rivet it with a strip of metal, then you can staple well cover over top of tack strip and install it. Also works well if your tack strip is shot. Now you are probably really confused.
Yes I am. :sweat: I was thinking about gluing the well to the body and not even stapling it to the strip. Just glue it in then the top and the tack strip come in and out without a problem. I am thinking I can paint the tack strip black so it doesn't stand out. ???

Brian
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,735 Posts
One way or another, the tack strip will be covered, why would you need to paint it black?

The last well I installed came with 1 1/2" plastic sewn to the top edge. The plastic was screwed to the tack strip and then the well was folded down over the plastic strip. That was really hard to do, so I improvised.
 

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
Joined
·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DanTwoLakes said:
One way or another, the tack strip will be covered, why would you need to paint it black?

The last well I installed came with 1 1/2" plastic sewn to the top edge. The plastic was screwed to the tack strip and then the well was folded down over the plastic strip. That was really hard to do, so I improvised.
I was just thinking if I were to glue the well to the body up under where the tack strip mounts, then the top gets stapled to the tack strip on the outside of it coming from the top, when the tack strip is mounted to the body you would see it when the top is up.

Brian
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,735 Posts
You're supposed to be covering the tack strip so that it can't be seen. There are two ways to do that. Either you staple it on the back of the tack strip and then staple the top over it or just staple the top onto the tack strip and put the well in afterward. There's no point to doing it how your describing, you don't gain a thing.
 

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
Joined
·
16,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DanTwoLakes said:
You're supposed to be covering the tack strip so that it can't be seen. There are two ways to do that. Either you staple it on the back of the tack strip and then staple the top over it or just staple the top onto the tack strip and put the well in afterward. There's no point to doing it how your describing, you don't gain a thing.
Ok, now I am clear. First off, that well can go on after, it's sort of an "after thought" kinda thing anyway. Just get that damn top on then put the well, got you.

Brian
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top