Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone done this? my problem is the fuel lines. wich one to use and what to do with the other one. also im assumeing that i need to put a regulator before the carb , what should it be set at

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
Probably a TBI in your truck- V6 V8 etc, one is pressure and one is a return back to the tank. There is usually a 3rd to a charcoal canister.

Plumb the regulator into the RETURN line. The regulator is basically a restriction after the carb that is adjustable. This way the carb will see all the volume of the pump. Plumb a filter in the pressure side before the carb. Pumps usually push better than they pull. The only thing left is volume problems with a big HP engine. The stock in-tank pump may have trouble.

There is a fuel pump relay on the pass. side firewall. You'll need to find the 'turn-on' wire and connect this to a KEY ON & START ONLY source since the ECM used to control this. ECM is out of the picture now. Unhook it.

I forget the actual wire colors on the relay.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
where would the return line go to now that the tbi is out of the picture. and now that ive asked that,wich one is the return line.by the way its a stock motor so the pump should work fine.i was under the impression that the pump would push too much pressure. thanks

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
You are correct, too much pressure, that's where the aftermarket regulator comes in. Think of the fuel system as a closed loop. You WILL need to keep the return line. Fuel is constantly circulating to and from the carb/injectors. These pumps cannot run 'deadhead'. (without a return) They will burn up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
would i need to put the regulator before the carb and filter then? also where would i hook up the return line.should i get a regulator with one entry and two exits or a cheap one and t the discharge side to the carb and return line. how do i tell wich line is the return .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.